Saturday, October 25, 2014

Holidays? Those Exist?

I'm kind at that point...
Where I don't think Holidays actually exist anymore.
At least....not beyond the holiday items I see in the store that we sell to customers for their holiday enjoyment.

Really. It's true.
It used to be that excitement would build. Decorations would be hung. There would be a build up to the actual holiday.

But now. It's like I blink, and it's already passed.
What do you mean Halloween is in a week?
Surely....surely it's still three weeks away.
Isn't it still the first week of October?
No.
No it isn't.

And in reality.
I think work is to blame.
After all, work isn't school, where they give you a week off to travel, to go visit family, to have time to do holiday shopping and attend parties.
No. Work doesn't want you to have breaks of any sort during the high holiday season. It's not a time for togetherness, fun, and enjoyment.
It's about making the big bucks, helping customers in their quests for the holidays.....

Really, I don't think it would be so bad. Work actually isn't that bad, not as bad is it could be. It's not like other crazy places....

But work does have a rather bad habit...
of scheduling me to work whenever anything 'fun' is happening.
"Oh there's a party Friday night? Guess you'll have to work during that."
"Oh, there's a breakfast thing? Guess you'll have to work during that too."
Seriously.
A super really bad annoying habit of it.
Doesn't matter the time or the day.
Odds are against me that I'll be able to make it.

Which means...I miss out on basically all the Holiday get togethers.
Halloween is next week and I've yet to go to a Halloween themed anything....
Which is probably why....the holidays are becoming abstract concepts in my head.
A dream of a dream really.

Because who can celebrate a holiday...when there isn't time to celebrate it?

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment