Tuesday, November 25, 2014

An Unexpected Walk-In

There I was, doing my morning chores at work.
This particular one, involving the hurricane of feathers aka, cleaning the bird cages.
I'd just gotten to the last bit of the task.
Cleaning the glass, before I could tidy everything away,

When one of my coworkers came up to me,
A smile on his face.
A look in his eye.
That made me groan inside.
A customer most likely needing help. Which the store wasn't even open yet! Why would they need help? Why would he be pulling me away from my tasks!!
He tapped on the glass, motioning for me to come out of the hurricane.
"One of your animals got loose." He said once I had emerged from the swirling feathers.
I blinked. Oh. That would be important.
"Which one?" I asked following after him.
"A tortoise."
"We don't have one of those." I said immediately. We didn't. We sold our last Tortoise on Saturday and hadn't yet gotten in one yet. Maybe he meant a turtle? Maybe one of my coworkers had placed a water turtle into an empty tank to clean their actual cage and forgot to put him back? No....
We rounded the corner.
And what do you know...there was this tortoise right in the middle of the floor by our fish podium!
()_()
WHERE IN THE WORLD DID HE COME FROM?!?!
Seriously. Where?
All I could say was "But..he's not ours! We don't have one!"
I picked him up, pulling bits of dust bunny fluff off of him.
He was active, he was trying to walk right out of my hands.
But...he still wasn't ours!
I double checked, making sure we had none in our inventory. We hadn't even LOST a tortoise.
Really....how could you lose a tortoise anyway. O.o they can't climb out of the cage.
So unless this guy has been wandering around the store longer than I've been working there...
it wasn't our tortoise.

Which meant. We couldn't sell him.
Why?
Because he wasn't part of our inventory.
And since there was no way he could have escaped from anywhere in our store.
(Which if our vet was the sort to see reptiles could have been possible...)
Not to mention the oddness of his location....over by the fish?

Which meant. Someone...had dropped him off. Someone had left him here.
I have no idea how long he's been wandering around the store.
:S
I'd like to think that it was brief.
Like, we found him within the hour. That maybe someone walked through the vets door before the main store opened and just....well left him there.

-Really people? Really!! Just leave him on the floor where he could've been ran over or injured? Why not in a BOX!
He may have been left over night....maybe...
Really. I have no idea. I closed last night and saw no sign of him, but I was distracted....I saw no sign this morning, but I was in the middle of birds....
Soo who left the Tortoise there?!

No idea, but poor thing felt rather cold. :S So I set him up in one of our spare tanks to warm him up.

Since we couldn't sell him, it meant we would either need to call a rescue group or have one of us take him.
And I had the perfect person to take him.

As you see, my daddoo, had mentioned earlier that he would love to have a Tortiose. But at the pricey prices we sell them at......

Well.... guess who just got His Christmas Present Early?
He did!

The Tortoise is now chilling or I guess...warming up, in a nice new home. ^^

So excited!
I was glad that I was able to help rescue this guy. ^^ As he was seriously adorable. :D

Our newest little creature in the house :).

Aint he cute?!?! :)

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment