Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Attack of the Demon

Parakeets are evil.
They just like to make things more horrible after an already trying day.

I mean.
I'd been running around like crazy.
Having been by myself in the department at work since 10:30 that morning.
Which is super frustrating.
Because its TWO DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS!
Of course we're going to be BUSY With customers!

But whichever corporate person decided on how many hours our store was allotted per department this week...
Has obviously NEVER WORKED A CHRISTMAS WEEK BEFORE!
Because they didn't give us enough hours!
They treated it like it was a normal week!
The week of Christmas is NOT NORMAL!

But I've been scheduled by myself from 10:30-3pm
Every.
Single.
Day.
This.
Week.

And let me tell you.
ITS NOT FUN.
I mean we have 3 cashiers the entire time. (when usually we only have one.)
But we don't have the hours to give my department at least two people the entire day.
Oh no. >.<
Obviously the person in charge never worked in my department.
One person isn't enough!
Not when you have tons of customers coming in all wanting to give their kids pets for Christmas, and being totally clueless about care and such so we have to take the time to educate them.
It's not like cashiering where you can just go "Next!"
No.
Grr.

So. Frustrated!

In any case.
Today was crazy. I had to count animals, open the department, and receive in a fish shipment.
and that fish shipment didn't show up til noon.
I was by myself.
And guess what.
At 3 pm.
Fish still weren't done. >.<
Grr.

But.
To get back to the parakeets and away from my work irritation...

My final customer before I clocked out.
Wanted a bunch of birds for her work's atrium.
2 Diamond Doves.
2 Society Finches.
and 4 of our Parakeets.

I was tired, hungry, irritated....
And then I had to catch birds.
The first 7 went alright.

But that last parakeet.
Was the Spawn of the Devil.

Evil little bugger.
I mean, I admit it. I was freaking him out.
After all I was chasing him around the cage, catching him.
So of course he would want to defend himself.

But oh boy, this yellow devil took it to a whole nother level.
The moment I had him in my hands.
He'd bit down.
In like the most tender part of the thumb you could bite down on.
The little crevice between your nail and the skin.
Harder and harder,
Bite. Release. Bite. Release. Harder. Harder.

And it was all I could do to not pop the little parakeets head off.
because it was agony!
He drew blood!
It was painful!
It was all I could do not to cry out and make a scene in front of the customer.
And the devilbird wouldn't let go of me!
Trying to get his beak off my finger only made him hold on all the tighter.
Making the possibility of me accidentally killing the bird by strangulation much more likely.
Finally got the creature off. (after he released only to bite down again quickly so I couldn't pull him away like four times.)
Wrapped him in a towel so I could get a chance to write down the band on his leg without being mauled further by this crazy bird.
As he would go for my hand every chance he got.
Finally got the number written down.
And stuffed him in the box.
Only,
He ended up stuck between a flap inside the box and the main wall of the box itself.
So I reached in to force him into the bigger part of the box.
And the devil attacked me! Biting down on my hand again! Latching on like there was no tomorrow!
And I wasn't even trying to hold him!
I was just shooing him away from the flap so he could have more room!
But he wasn't having it.
Bite.
Bite.
Hold on with its claws.
Bite.
Bite.
He wouldn't LET GO!
Gah!

Finally.
FINALLY
I got him off, got my hand out of the box and shut that creature in nice and tight.

So. Very. Glad. He's out of the store now.
And its probably a very good thing that he's going into a nice big atrium in a place where nobody will try and catch him ever again. (most likely. dunno for sure.)
*fingers crossed* that he isn't returned.

Because.
OOOOWWWWW!!!
My thumb still hurts from that attack!
>.<
Parakeets are Evil.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment