Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Wrong Ending

Well....that wasn't the outcome I expected....

So, yesterday, I had a customer come into the store.
Returning a Guinea Pig.
Because he wasn't acting good. Breathing was labored, was a bit lethargic. It looked like he had a bit of a cold.

Not really a surprise, because it turns out that the owners weren't giving the Guinea Pig a chance to adjust to his new home. Playing with him right off the bat. Its pretty much a guarantee that he'll get sick. Because he's stressing out.
But it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before.
We just take the guinea pig to the vet, get him some meds, care for him for a couple of weeks and walla!
The owners get their guinea pig back.
Hopefully with a strong reminder to leave him alone for a few days before they play with him.

In any case.
I knew that this guinea pig was sick enough that he needed to go to the vet that day. So I ensured he went.
After reassuring the customer multiple times that the Guinea Pig would be fine. That from all the cases I've seen like 9/10 times they recover and its perfectly fine.
It would be just a couple of weeks to recover and walla. Guinea Pig would be home again.

You can probably guess what happened...
The Guinea Pig was still at the vet when I left work yesterday.

I came back in this morning, and went into our sick room to check in on him.
Only...
To find he wasn't there.

()_()
Why wasn't he there?
Had nobody been able to pick him up? That wasn't good, the vet was closed today!

So I asked a manager...
And the manager was like "No...I think we had to euthanize him."
()_() WHAT!?!!?
Why?!!? What happened?!
The manager didn't know.
Did the customer even know that their guinea pig had died?!
Gah!!

Really. I hoped it wasn't true.
It was.
After checking in with a different manager.
...It turns out that the Guinea Pig was worse off than we thought.
Because while the Guinea Pig was at the vet...
He started bleeding out of his bottom.
Never a good sign.
Ever.

And so the decision was made to euthanize the poor thing. Y_Y

Ugh.
I hate it when I'm an unintentionally liar.
I mean...I thought he was going to be fine!
And here the Guinea Pig had to be put to sleep only hours later.
>.<
I really hope that the customer isn't mad at me....giving out false hope.
But truly I thought that the guinea pig would be fine....

Thankfully....I wasn't the one who needed to contact her...so....hopefully the manager who did was able to soothe her and explain the situation. Because I already feel horrible about the whole thing, I don't really need the customer to guilt me further when I already feel bad. Y_Y

*sighs*
Note to self. Don't be too confident in diagnoses....

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment