Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Work Overload

Its been one of those weeks that are more frustrating than not at work.
I mean, work has its ups and downs.
But this week has been particularly frustrating on multiple levels.

Its to be expected though,
Because we just started the official "Holiday Season" at work.
I.E. We went to holiday hours.
Which means we're open earlier and close later than our normal hours.

Usually isn't that big of a deal for me as I work in the mornings most of the time, and even though we open earlier, people aren't as anxious to get up to go into a petstore an hour earlier.
So it's basically an hour where we get a handful of customers, but otherwise don't have to worry about things.

This week though...
Just feels like we were under prepared.
Like we were unexpectedly shorted on hours to hand out to all the workers,
And so were short handed.

You'd think with the Holiday Season the higher ups would realize that we would need more hours and more coworkers to be able to handle the increase in customers in the store.

But no.
Somewhere the ball was dropped.
Because if anything we're more shorthanded than ever.

And its frustrating.
Because this week I've struggled to get my department open.
Like literally, I can't get everything I need to get done in the mornings done.
Because the people in my department keep having to go onto the registers to help out the lonely cashier so our lines don't end up all the way down to the back of the store. We have to get on registers to cover breaks, to cover for managers as they help customers.
And all the while...while we're on the registers....it leaves only one person or no one in my department. Which means the work that needs to be done there...isn't getting done.
It doesn't help that we were brought in later than normal this week.
It doesn't help that my opening coworker was scheduled short shifts.
It doesn't help that customers are actually coming into the store in the mornings.

Can you tell I'm frustrated?
Because I am.
Super frustrated.
Frustrated that I couldn't get my things done because I was needed elsewhere.
Frustrated that there isn't enough hours for us all to be covered for our breaks in our own departments.
Frustrated that we're not overstaffed with coworkers so that each department has plenty of coverage so when the customers come we can still progress in our tasks.

Honestly, its a good thing I have the next couple days off.
Because if I had to go into work tomorrow.
I would probably snap.
I got really close to snapping already today.
And that's not good.

So a break away from the store sounds really really nice to me.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment