Thursday, December 3, 2015

Quorum Unity

Miracles of power can come as quorums reach out to serve others.
They come as well when the priesthood service is to members within the quorum.
A deacons quorum president met early one Sunday, before the quorum meeting, with his counselors and with the quorum secretary.
After prayerful consideration in council, he felt inspired to call a deacon to invite to the next quorum meeting another deacon who had never attended.
He knew that the deacon who had never attended had a father who was not a member of the Church and that his mother had little interest in the Church.

The designated deacon accepted the call from his president to contact the boy.
He went.
I watched him go.
He went a little reluctantly, as if it might be a hard task.
The boy he invited to come with him to the quorum came only a few times before his family moved away.
Many years later I was in a stake conference thousands of miles away from where the deacons quorum had met.
Between conference meetings, a man I did not know came up to me and asked if I knew someone.
He gave me a name.
It was the boy who was called by his deacons quorum president to go after and care for the one lost sheep.
The man said to me, "Will you thank him for me?
I am the grandfather of the boy he invited to a deacons quorum years ago.
He is grown now.
But he still talks with me about the deacon who invited him to go with him to church."

He had tears in his eyes, and so did I.
A young quorum president had been inspired to reach out to a lost member of his quorum.
He was inspired to send a boy on the errand to serve.
That president had done what the Master would have done.
And in the process a young president trained a new priesthood holder in his duty to serve others according to the covenants.
Hearts were knit which were still connected after more than 20 years and across thousands of miles.
Quorum unity lasts when it is forged in the Lord's service and the Lord's way.

-Henry B. Eyring -A Priesthood Quorum -October 2006 General Conference

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment