Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A Long Wait

Book signings are always fun.
I mean...I've only really been to the signings of one author.
Brandon Sanderson.

If you can only make it to the signing of one author.
Brandon Sanderson would be my top pick every time.
....You know, unless I was in a time crunch....

But if I had all the time in the world, Sanderson Signings all the way. :D
Why?
Because Sanderson takes the time to talk to his fans.
You can ask him questions, get multiple books signed, hear him read excerpts from books not yet published, etc.
It's so much fun!
Especially when you get to talking to the people standing in line with you.
Because you will be standing in that line for a long....long....long time.

Since Sanderson talks to his fans...
You can imagine that the lines don't move that quickly.
You could stand in the same spot for like an hour and not move. (not a full exaggeration, but close)

Like I said.
if you have Time.
It can be hours before you get your book signed and personalized.

Yesterday was no exception;
I showed up at the start of the signing.
And didn't leave until 4 hours later.

This signing was different in how they did things.
We all had wristbands with numbers on it.
But instead of calling us up to grab our books and then go stand in line to get it personalized.

This particular group...
Called us up in groups of ten.
O.o Ten. To come grab the books.
And then stand in line.

But the callers....wouldn't keep calling book numbers...
No. Ten...Twenty....Thirty minutes would pass by before the next group of ten was called.

O.o
So. Frustrating.

I mean. It left the rest of us....mingling all about the book store.
For hours. And hours. And hours.
Not standing in line.
Debating with your linemates on how long before you move forward, how long before you see Sanderson.
No.
We were left.
In a time limbo.
Not knowing when our numbers would be called.

You can imagine.
If only ten numbers are called at a time.
And that wait for those ten numbers to get their books and get them personalized....could take 10-30 minutes...

You have no idea when for sure, you'll be able to go grab your book and get it signed.
Bleh.
I got there at 7pm.
I didn't get my book until 10:45pm.
Didn't get it signed until 11:05pm.

My number was 150 from the first set called.
That's how long by groups of ten it took them to get to my number.
Honestly.
We had our numbered wristbands for a reason.
Let us grab our numbered book, and then go stand in line.
Then at least we have the book to read while we wait to get it personalized.

*shakes head*
Ah. Well.
I bet they thought the method would work out better than it didn't.

No matter...
At least you didn't have to wait for your number to be called if you had to leave.
If you were in a time crunch, they would let you jump out of order and grab your numbered copy of the book, buy it and leave.
After all Sanderson had presigned all the numbered books before hand.
So if you just wanted it signed.  You could pick up and go.
It was if you wanted other books signed, and/or personalized you would have to stand in the longer line.

Still.
It was fun. :)
I spent the hours writing in a corner as I waited for my number to be called.

So I had a great time.
Because I actually had time to write! And the words were flowing. :D Yay! :)

I can't wait for the next signing. :)
Just to see what happens next. :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment