Thursday, February 4, 2016

Reading Goals

Frequently [Christ's] help comes silently--on occasion with dramatic impact.
Such was my experience of some years ago when, as a mission president, I was afforded the privilege of guiding the activities of precious young men and women, even missionaries whom he had called.

Some had problems, others required motivation; but one came to me in  utter despair.
He had made his decision to leave the mission field when but at the halfway mark.
His bags were packed, his return ticket purchased.
He came by to bid me farewell.
We talked; we listened; we prayed.
There remained hidden the actual reason for his decision to quit.

As we arose from our knees in the quiet of my office, the missionary began to weep.
Flexing the muscle in his strong right arm, he blurted out, "This is my problem.
All through school my muscle power qualified me for honors in football and track, but my mental power was neglected.
President Monson, I'm ashamed of my school record.
It reveals that 'with effort' I have the capacity to read at but the level of the fourth grade.
I can't even read the Book of Mormon.
How then can I understand its contents and teach others its truths?"

The silence of the room was broken by my young nine-year-old son, who, without knocking, opened the door and, with surprise, apologetically said, "Excuse me.
I just wanted to put this book back on the shelf."

He handed me the book.
Its title: A Child's Story of the Book of Mormon, by Dr. Deta P. Neeley.
I turned to the forward and read these words: "This book has been written with a scientifically controlled vocabulary to the level of the fourth grade."
A sincere prayer from an honest heart had been dramatically answered.

My missionary accepted the challenge to read the book.
Half laughing, half crying, he declared, "It will be good to read something I can understand."
Clouds of despair were dispelled by the sunshine of hope.
He completed an honorable mission.
He became a finisher.

-Thomas S. Monson -"Finishers Wanted" -April 1972 General Conference

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment