Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Coming At Ya

My eyes have always been rather sensitive.
To objects coming towards them.

I mean, it took me like 3 hours to put contacts into my eyes the first time!
Because I really, really, really don't like having anything come near my eyes.

It's hard to keep them open.
Hard to not pull away.

Which makes the pressure test at the Eye Doctor's particularly difficult.

You know, when the doc has you sit your chin in this contraption as he brings forth a device that could literally poke you in the eye if you blink or jerk at the wrong moment?
Yah. That test.

The one to test the pressure of the cornea or whatever.

I can't do it.
Honestly. I can't.
It literally makes me feel like I'm in 'fight or flight' mode.
The gizmo just has to be pulled out and my heart starts racing.
And I can't hold still long enough to do so.

And because of this....I've manage to avoid having to do the pressure test for like the last....3 times?
It's been a while.

But today....
Today I thought maybe it would be different.

Because I was only working on four hours of sleep. (silly brain wouldn't turn off and I had no time for a nap) so I was a bit....less 'present' emotionally than I usually am.
Which I thought with my dulled sleep deprived senses....if I had to do this pressure test.
Maybe I could.

Though I really was hoping he'd just 'forget' that part and let me survive in peace another year.

It didn't happen.

Out came the pressure thingy.
But this time, I gamely tried to do it.
Instincts are too strong though.
Way too strong.

The right eye...
which was already irritated as the contact lens I'd put in that morning had somehow been torn but I hadn't realized it until I was at work so I couldn't change it out....had not one, but two tears which spent all day irritating my eye.

So the right eye. Totally a no go for it.
We tried.
And tried.
And I couldn't sit still.
Couldn't let that thing come near me.

So the doctor said why not try the left?
Which.
Since I'm basically 'left' everything. Handed, footed, eyed....
Perhaps the left side, used to doing more could gamely try it.

So we tried.
and tried.
The doc even held my eyelids open so I wouldn't blink at the wrong moment.
We tried
and tried
and everytime he was able to get a tiny itsy bit closer before I had to pull away.

Seriously, my hands were probably white knuckled on the chair.
As finally.
I felt the slightest touch to my eye.
Freeze.
Hold for eternity (like a second)
And walla!

Success!!

I'd managed to do it!
The left eye wins!

I did the stupid pressure test.
Woot!

And thankfully since both my eyes were looking good and what is seen in one eye tends to be pretty close to the right eye.
We didn't have to try and get that stubborn right eye to do the pressure test either.

But hey.
Celebrate the small moments right?

I managed to do the pressure test!
Woot!

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment