Friday, October 28, 2016

A Simple Bite

Ah.
Teeth.
They betray you at the most inopportune moments don't they. >.< *exhales*

So.
It started the night before.
After I'd eaten a sugary sweet chocolate snack.
You know the kind that leaves marks all over your teeth?
Well, as my tongue was moving about those traces of chocolate.
I felt a rough patch on one of my molars.
Confused, I played with it wondering if it was just some grit or something that had gotten stuck on the tooth.
But it refused to budge.
So I got up and went to look in the mirror to see what was up.

And after some examination, discovered that a tiny piece of filling had fallen out. One towards the center biting surface of the tooth.
It was annoying for sure.
Especially since at the moment I can't just wander on up to the dentist to get it fixed.
But I figured I could deal with it easily enough and tolerate the rough patch until the new year when I could make it up to the dentist.

*exhales*
And then I had to go eat a granola bar for breakfast the next day.

Honestly, what is it for granola bars?
This has to be like the fourth time that I've had something tooth related happen because of them. >.< *shakes head* Evil evil yet so tasty....

Like I said.
I didn't think anything would be bad about the small missing piece of filling.
I would just have to make sure to brush that area really well to ensure nothing got caught there.

Honestly, I should have listened to my intuition the next morning at wok, when I opened that granola bar and thought "maybe I shouldn't chew this on that tooth." before dismissing it.

Note to self: Don't. Dismiss. Thoughts.

Because wouldn't you know it.
I took like maybe two bites? A bite and a half?
And felt something odd.
A quick run over the tooth with my tongue told the story.
I had a larger rough patch.
A glance in the mirror showed a horrible truth.

A large piece of my tooth was missing.
Like the corner of it with a apparent looking crack moving nearly down to the gum line.

Bad.
Totally. Bad.
I didn't know if it was tooth or filling that had left that space.
But it was a large space.
One that thankfully wasn't sensitive to anything.
But all the while...it was definitely not something where I could just 'hang in there' a couple more months before seeing the dentist.

I would have to bite the bullet and make an appointment for this. Because left untreated, who knew how much worse it would get?
Or how irritated my tongue, not to mention my cheek would be in the meantime, constantly feeling and rubbing against the edge.

Really, I thought it would be just a simple filling fix.
I hoped it would be a simple filling fix.
But when I was explaining the situation over the phone.
-Rather badly I realize now-
The woman on the other end was like. "Oh honey, it sounds like you're going to need a crown."
()_() *gulp* In
And you know how much crowns cost to get when you're in my current situation?
A lot.
Like 3 months worth of rent, a lot.

>.< Curse you granola bar.

Honestly that was a blow to the morning, I didn't want to have to spend $$$$$ to get a tooth fixed!!
Ugh.

But I couldn't just let it wait.
So spending money it would have to be.
I happened to have a short day at work, which in of itself was a blessing as I was able to drive up right afterwards and get my tooth looked at.

But oh those hours of work seemed to drag on for forever as I was left dangling with wonderment on how much money I would have left by the end of the day.

In any case.
Once I got to the dentist, and they got a good look at the tooth (after struggling with the x-ray machine for like 15 minutes to get it to work lol)
They decided to just do a patch -aka filling- on the missing area.
HURRAH!!
As apparently, it was just a filling that had decided to fall out.
Double HURRAH!!

Because that meant, that I spent waaaaay less money. *sigh of relief* to get it fixed.
So stress gone.

Of course, the dentist stressed that he felt that I should get a crown sooner rather than later before something worse happens to that tooth.
But I can't do anything about that currently, so we'll see how it's looking when I go in for a cleaning in a few months and then I'll decide from there. :)

In any case.
Moral of the story.
Granola bars are evil.
But thankfully, blessings come in all shapes and forms. :D

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment