Friday, October 7, 2016

The Life Alteration

I suppose that there is some sort of saying somewhere that goes something along the lines of: "If you want results, the easy way isn't going to cut it."

Sometimes one has to make sacrifices to make results happen.

Only....
I don't know if I can do this sacrifice....

So.
It's about my hand again.
You know, the one I burned nearly a year ago that resulted in an infection that spread up my arm to swell up a half dozen lymph nodes in early January and then are still working to go away now....

Basically the status is still. "Very slowly healing."
Grass grows faster honestly.

The lymphnodes on my arm are still going away getting less and less red as the weeks pass.
But they're still there.

My finger?
Basically unchanged.
Some days its more red than others.
But there isn't a noticeable change happening really.

So....
Last night, I brought it up with my sister.

As it's just one of those frustrations that has come back on the 'major frustration' list instead of the 'minor frustration' list of stresses I'm dealing with.

And for the first time she actually took a pretty close look at my finger.
(No, she's no doctor or nurse.) Just to see it really.

She was the one to bring up this idea.
This idea that I'm not really wanting to take.

You see,
Since the burn I experienced is on the knuckle of my finger, which is constantly bending....
My burn is having troubles healing because my fingers are in constant motion.
After all I'm constantly using my hands at work and at home.

So, she thinks...
That if I just splint my finger.
Wrapping up the injured middle finger with my ring finger and keep it straight for a couple of weeks....
The injury will finally have a chance to heal.

It's a great idea.
But the idea brings me....well ALOT of trepidation.

Why?

Because I'm left handed.
The injury is on my left hand.
I do basically everything with my left hand.

And she's basically telling me to take my left hand out of action for two weeks.

Do you ever stop and consider how many things you do with your dominate hand?
Hundreds of thousands of things.

And I'll be basically crippling myself for a couple of weeks.
On the off chance that it actually helps my finger heal.

I mean.
I can do things with my right hand.
So I could get by with a gimpy left hand.

But then you stop and think...just all that requires.

And it just seems to be more and more unlikely that this will work out.

Why?
Because I work in a Pet Store.
My job requires cleaning cages, talking to customers about various animals, catching said animals/fish/crickets. etc.

Half the time I need to wear gloves (for cleaning)
-Which I can't do if two of my fingers are tapped together.
-Which means I can't clean with my left hand. That besides taking on cleaning tanks with my right hand (which involves water) I would need to also clean the dry cages as well with just my right hand.

The other half of the time, I'm dealing with water in my job.
You know. scrubbing tanks, catching fish, etc.
Things that get my hands WET.
I catch fish left handed.
If I can't wear gloves....
That either means that I will be needing to change out the bandaging system every few minutes...
Or I'm going to have to try and catch fish with just my right hand.
-Something I haven't really tried to do.

Can you just see why I'm....trepidatious about gimping my hand for two weeks?
I'm overly trepidatious.
The concept of it is stressing me out to no end.

I mean, two fingers bandaged together....
Writing would be more difficult.
Typing definitely would be more difficult.

Yet....
I can recognize that it's something that needs to be done.
I know I need to do it.

I just don't want have to go through the issues and problems to do it.

Ugh.
Ugh.
UGH.

Still.
If it gets my hand better.
Isn't it worth it to have two weeks of suffering, as opposed to another six months of the injury still not healing?
If it heals my finger....yah. It is.

That doesn't mean I don't have to like it though. Y_Y

In any case.
It's not going to happen yet.
I'm letting myself keep my fingers free at least until after work tomorrow.
So that I can have time to get used to it outside of the work environment first for a day and a bit.

Still....
I wish things could be fixed the easy way on occasion....

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment