Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Introverted Project

Did I mention a while ago that I got a new calling at Church?
I feel like I did, though honestly at this point I don't remember. lol.
(and I'm too lazy to look back and see)
But I'm pretty sure I did.
How I moved into a new place and it only took the bishopric like two weeks to find me and give me a calling?
Yah, sounds like a familiar tone of post for me.

In any case.
My calling was for the Ward Prayer Committee.
-Which basically is a group of individuals in charge of having a Ward Prayer -where the ward gathers in the evening, we have someone say a thought, someone give a prayer and sometimes there's refreshments, games, get to know you things etc.
-Its another method used in YSA wards to get the singles to mingle with each other. ;) haha.
But it's also just a good way to start off the work week, with a group prayer.

I have to admit.
I haven't really been to a ward prayer in a while.
In my old place I think I only went once in the couple of years I was there.

Mostly because I was more in my introverted phase and I hated that they dragged out ward prayer when I had other things I wanted to do with my night.
-In my opinion it should be thought, prayer, go home.
But others like to do more than that.

In any case.
I went tonight.
To ward prayer.
Because obviously since I'm on the committee...I should show up to the thing right?
Right.

Ah.
I'd forgotten how crowded and noisy they can get.
There must have been at least 30 people in the meeting spot.
Basically all of them strangers because I'm new to the ward and I'm still adjusting.

So I quickly found a corner that was out of the way of all the people. To hang out and people watch until everything was said and done.

Which of course led to me thinking.
Because if I'm not talking I'm probably thinking. ;) haha.

Mostly it was thinking along Introverted lines.

Though I do have to admit, I'm probably more of an Ambivert than an Introvert.
I like being around people, but only for certain periods of time when I'm prepared to be around people. Otherwise I'm perfectly happy being by myself.

But I had this thought.
"How to Tame an Introvert" come to me as I was waiting for the prayer to finish so that I could dash out the door and go home.

And that's basically this:

1. Invite the Introvert to the gathering. (Or give them a calling where they have to go. ;) haha)
2. Let the Introvert leave when they want.
 Why? Because if it's something they haven't experienced before, this gathering, they may not be comfortable with the situation. So basically this is the 'testing phase' Let the introvert come, stay on their terms, and leave.
Which may be five minutes, it may be an hour depending on the introvert.
But don't be discouraged if they leave quickly. A new situation with unexpected and unforeseeable circumstances isn't something an introvert wants to be around for long. The first visit is like the 'scoping of territory' getting a taste of the terrain, what other analogy you want to place here lol.
3. Invite them to come again.
If it's an event that happens weekly -like ward prayer-
Keep inviting them to come. If the introvert was fine with the first encounter, exposing them to the same situation multiple times allows them to adjust to it. Get used to it. Relax in it.
They'll be more open to talking and mingling once they know how things will go.

Simple as that really.
Patience is the Key.
Repeated encounters is the Key.

Because Introverts only like to talk when they feel comfortable. So make them comfortable and they'll talk. ;) haha.

And yah....that was my thoughts for today. :D haha

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment