Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Greet and Build

So I mentioned the other day that we had a work meeting that basically is going over things we need to do and change and work on for the next year. Basically a game plan to continue to keep our customers happy, but also get them to buy things. You know, the usual retail stuff. 

In any case. Part of that game plan is for us to have a 'one on one' meeting with the Head Manager in the store where we then talk about certain aspects of this 'game plan,' watch an example, do a couple role plays, and then go attempt to use what we learned in the store. 

*shakes head* Honestly, I'm a good "read it and I can do it" sort of person. I find roleplaying to be rather annoying, as is 'practicing' in the store. 
I mean, I do enjoy acting and such, and I'm rather quick to come up with scenarios and such to use in role play which is fun. ^^ lol. 
But it's really hard....because role playing with someone you know -aka the manager, vs. a customer you don't know is completely different. 

So. One of the main things that work wants us workers to do is to establish more of a connection with our customers.
Which means that the company is wanting us to ask more open ended questions that allow us to converse with the customer and find out about their needs. They want us to do more than ask a question that results in a 'yes or no' scenario. 

Which I can understand. 
"Do you need help finding anything today?" will usually result in the customer going "No." 
While "What can I help you find today?" will result in a slightly longer response that allows us to establish a conversation and such. 

But the annoying thing about this "do not ask a 'yes or no' question rule" is....
Eventually you HAVE to ask a yes or no question just to confirm that the customer is satisfied with the help you've given them and to see if the solution you offered work. 

I mean, it makes sense that you don't want to start off the conversation with a 'yes or no' question as that can easily shut down the conversation quickly. 
But once you've established the scenario then I feel you can say "Well, have you tried this particular food before?" which does result in a yes/no question can help me figure out if I need to search for a different option or give me confirmation that yes I did help the customer. *shakes head*

So yes, I agree that the beginning of the conversation should be more open ended with the questions. But towards the end...pretty sure yes/no will suffice.

Thankfully though, with this sort of scenario, work does recognize that there are some people who are the "I got this" sort of customers where they go "I know what I'm looking for thanks!" and that when we encounter these people it's okay for us to go "Okay! Well my name is Sarnic, I'll be by the fish if you need me." and back off. We're not required to chase the customer down or anything. Which is a relief. Because there are customers who don't need help and don't want help. lol. 
So I'm glad that I can take the 'back off' route if the customer knows what they need. 
Because interacting with people is draining. 
And if I have to do more of it....I'm going to end up a lot more tired. *shakes head*

In any case!
The open ended questions thing.
So my manager and I had a one on one today to talk about that and practice scenarios.  Practice greeting the customer, asking open ended questions, building a connection etc etc.

And then we applied it in the store, by approaching customers and such. 
And apparently I did really well. lol. ^^ 
As even though in our practice sessions in the office I kept asking yes/no questions...
Out on the floor I managed to keep my questions more open ended without asking any yes/no questions. 
Which woot for me!! ^^ lol 

But it's mostly an attitude thing I think....
I mean, it's just a matter of creating a connection, following the conversation, asking for more details when necessary, offering your own opinions, reading the body language etc etc. 
Which after nearly 5 years of working at the Pet Store....
I think I have a pretty good handle on it. XD Lol. 

Plus, actually talking to the customer and helping them instead of making up scenarios in an office are totally different. It's more real to do it out on the floor and such. 

So thankfully I did well in that and impressed the manager. :) Yay. 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment