Saturday, July 15, 2017

To Jump In

I got called into work last night. 
Which is something that rarely happens.
Really it only happens if work is really desperate for coverage. 
Mostly because since I work full time there, I don't really have the ability to come in and cover shifts without work needing to pay me over time for it.

Therefore, I usually almost basically never get called to help out at work.
But this week was slightly different.
In that I finally got scheduled a couple of short shifts at work.
Meaning that I wasn't scheduled for the high end of my hour range.
But rather the lower end of what I need to get on a weekly basis. 

Which I was perfectly fine with. 
Because after like a month and a half of getting scheduled 8 hour work days,
I really was super excited to be able to get off work early and have short shifts. 

But that also meant that I had a handful of hours where if needed I could come in and cover someone without it sending me into overtime.

I didn't think it would happen...
Even though the manager the day before yesterday...or maybe even the day before that, commented that they needed to find someone to help cover a shift for yesterday.
It never crossed my mind that they'd ask me.
Because I'm full time, full time people don't get asked to cover things.

But there I was, yesterday, on my day off, spending a much needed day being a hermit in my room. 
When I get a phone call.
From work.

Which is weird....
Though automatically I assumed that someone was just needing me to answer a question of where something is. Because that does happen. Especially when there are new managers. lol. 

However, it was my coworker.
Asking if I could come in for 3 hours last night.
Basically work the last 3 hours the store was open.
Because two of my coworkers had called out yesterday.
And I was literally their last resort. 
-Hence the three hours lol. I couldn't work much more than that without hitting my cap and going into overtime. 

I took about 15 minutes to think it over -saying I would call my coworker back-
Because really, I wanted nothing more than to say No and continue on with being a hermit in my room.
But knowing that two others had called out....
I couldn't make myself say no.

No, responsible loyal me reared it's head.
I wanted to help out.
Ease my coworker's burdens and such.

So I called back and said yes.

And came into work to find that the department was...well kinda in a disaster zone.
There was a mountain of store supplies in the back that hadn't been put away.
My coworker was barely getting around to changing the water in the betta cups. A task that should have been done like six hours before hand..
There were empty cages, missing tags, fish in the wrong tanks.
And of course. A ton of customers to help.

So overall it was a good thing that I came in.
That way my coworker could focus on finishing the tasks at hand.
While I helped the customers and kept them away from my coworker lol.

It was crazy.
But we managed to get a little bit of order to the dept.
Not much, but it definitely was enough to make it easier to get everything back in order today when I came in for my work shift. 

But it wasn't without it's bumps...

Literally it's bumps.
Within like the first five minutes of being in the store I managed to injure myself like three times. 
Because I was rushing to get the supplies in the back all put away so we could actually walk into the back room without the hazard of tripping over things. 

Most of the bumps and scrapes were things easily forgotten.
Except one.

As I was heading towards the back to put something away...
I wasn't watching where my hand was going, or misjudged the distance, or something 
And ended up whacking my dominate hand against our metal drying cart/rack in the back that we use to hold all the clean dishes once we've washed them so they could dry out.
I managed to hit the corner of it.

And let me tell you.
Instant.
Agony.

I may have hit a nerve or something.
Maybe even the tendon or the bone or whatever.

But it was pure agony a bit worse than when you hit your funny bone on things. 

It's towards my wrist, where the tendons of the thumb and  pointer finger head towards each other.

And that thing stung!
and Hurt.

and ow guys. Ow my hand. 

It's been 12 hours now since I've hurt it and YES it still hurts. 
I whacked it good.
It's swollen in that area.
It's bruised.
And it's difficult to grip, bend, straighten or do really anything with my pointer finger without causing some sort of agony.

Which is just weird because yes I hit it, but I didn't think I'd hit it that hard. 
*exhales*

Hopefully some rest and such will make it feel better in the morning.
Because having this sort of injury on my dominate hand, when I do everything with that hand is rather inconvenient if I want to do something without causing myself pain. 

*shakes head*
So it goes I suppose lol.
At least the dept got back in order in the end lol.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment