Monday, September 19, 2022

It's Clever, But I Don't Like It

It's not uncommon to discover the signs of theft in our store. 

Empty packages shoved into random spots and such. 

And it's always a 'roll your eyes' sort of moment. 

Because like "congrats thief. You stole the thing. What's the point?" 

I get it. Stealing means not paying money and saving said money and maybe selling said stolen item elsewhere and making more money.

It's still annoying for us workers though.

In any case.

I do have to shake my head at the stupidity of some thieves and quietly admire the creativity of other thieves in the "Ha. That's Clever! I hate you." sort of way. 

Today was one of those "Ha. That was Clever. I hate you." moments.

Where I discovered that 2 empty cups of 25 count superworms on the shelf.

Which on the one hand...how in the world would you steal the sawdust and the worms. And WHY would you feel the need to?

On the other hand. I can totally see how they could have stolen said superworms and I may have seen the thief who did it.

Because I walked past a customer on Saturday ....who's a known difficult customer that I actively seek to avoid because they're just trouble and very finicky about their superworms and how many are in them and such.

And said customer walked past me carrying two 50 counts of superworms heading to the register. 

And when I walked past the endcap a minute later I noticed a bunch of sawdust on the shelf below the superworms. 

Which I was like ??? "Did one spill?" 

And then I remembered. No, said difficult worm customer was here. So they probably dug through the cups to make sure there were 50 in each cup and spilt a bit of the sawdust along the way.

No.

I'm guessing what actually happened....was that difficult worm customer saw that no one was around them, decided that they 'deserved' more than 50 superworms in each cup, and so took the lids off of both the 25ct and the 50ct and dumped the 25ct worms into the 50 count cup therefore giving the customer 75 worms in each 50ct cup.

*exhales* 

Like it's clever. It's not like the cashiers look at the cups and go "Huh, this cup has more sawdust and worms in it than normal, you must have stolen it!" No. They just scan and go. They don't usually count them.

So it's clever. 

But I hate it. 

And it makes me wonder if said customer does this every time they come into the store....or if this was the first time???

Or I could be totally placing blame on the wrong customer since I've already had negative experiences with this one difficult customer it's easy to place more negativity on them. 

It could have been some other enterprising person who potentially dumped the 25 into the 50 and got away with it. *shrugs* 

Or they could have had a bag or pocket or something and just dumped the containers in there. (Ew Messy)

But still...it's suspicious.

But yah. It was a clever theft. I have to admire that. Even if I hate discovering it.

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment