Monday, January 9, 2023

HOW BIG?!

 You know...I obviously don't know sizes.

I mean. I know sizes.

But apparently there's a difference between knowing and seeing. 

You see.

A few days ago, I agreed to take in some fish from one of my regular customers.

As they're moving and need to take down their tank and find someone to take their fish.

Those fish being 5 bala sharks and some "silver fish" and maybe a 6-8" pleco. 

And I was told that the Bala Sharks were full grown. Nice and big.

And I was thinking "Sweet. They'll be about the same size as my current bala shark."

And the "silver fish?" No idea. But they were "smaller" than the Balas so I figured if the fish were too big maybe I'd just keep them at work for a bit until it was "safer" for me to add them into my tank.

And the Pleco. Well I knew the size of our Syrain Hamsters which get around 6" full grown so like...I figured my tank could handle it, but I was reserving judgement on it because like "Really Big" means different things to different people. What is big for one person is small for another.

Just. *shakes head* I'm in awe guys. So in awe.

Because these fish are HUGE.

Like they have been very very very well taken care of. Judging by the bellys on some of the fish....probably a bit too over taken care of so hopefully the fish are fine going on a diet because I do not know how much my regulars were feeding their fish.

But the Balas? Massive. And like....the Regular regretfully informed me that one of their balas had passed away a couple of days ago. Rammed itself against the side of a tank and basically died. and a second one had died today while being fished out of the tank -probably stress-. 

But like dude. It's probably a good thing I only ended up with 3 balas instead of the original 5, especially since the two that passed away were "The Biggest Ones" according to my Regular.

Because 2 of the 3 Balas are MASSIVE. 

Like the other one is about the same size as my current bala. But like my current bala. You'd probably need THREE of them stacked on top of each other to match the mass of one of the larger ones. 

It's HUGE. Like larger than the width of my hand huge. 

Which thankfully I have a 125 gallon tank...but I do not think my tank could have handled 5 of those guys.

Especially because like I also ended up with 6 black skirt tetras. 

And two of them are GIANT too. Like I've told customers that the skirts can get 3" full grown. Or like around the size of a 50cent piece is pretty common. But two fo these skirts are larger than a 50 cent piece. It's CRAZY. 

And like I also added in a purple tiger barb to the tank as well that had been donated to a customer.

So like I added 10 fish into my tank today. :S :S :S

And I'm desperately hoping that it can handle the extra fish and that everyone stays alright. But I definitely wasn't expecting all these fish to be THAT BIG.

*shakes head*

Not to mention the Pleco.

That one I did not end up taking home.

Because this "6-8" fish" was literally the size of my foot. It was a good 12" long and waaaayyyy too big for me to be comfortable putting him in my tank. Like he was larger than the bala sharks!! lol everyone I showed him to at work was like ()_() HE'S HUGE!!

Thankfully one of my other coworkers was able to take the pleco and has plans to get him into a good home.

Because I have my hands full with the other 10 currently lol.

*fingers crossed* that they all end up doing well and that I don't have a ton of casualities from the extra fish. :S :S :S Guess we'll see.

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment