Monday, October 11, 2010

Expressing Yourself

Do you ever use your clothing choices to express how you're feeling that day?
Perhaps its subconscious, picking clothes that fit our mood.
Or is it the clothes that gives us our overall mood.
We wear comfortable things to make us feel comfortable, and relaxed.
We wear fancy things to make us feel beautiful/handsome, confident, happy.
We wear over-sized things to hide, or give the impression "don't look at me."
Then there are the colors.
Will you be bright today or darker? muted? natural?

I don't usually pay attention to my clothes, well on how they make me feel. Its more of a "pull open the drawer look inside and pull out something that I want to wear."
Yet today...I realized that often times my clothing choices could help give people an idea of how I'm feeling.
It wouldn't be a perfect system. My clothing choices don't always reflect the mood I'm in. But sometimes it seems like my choice was spot on.

For example. Today i wore jeans, an orange shirt, with a thin blue and white striped jacket thing over it.
overall my choice was pretty mellow. Blue.
But you could see a hint of orange here and there.

I kind of place my mood as "muted happiness."
Where I have my moments of being really cheerful, but over all...I'm just being kind of mellow, laid back, the introvert. Willing to let others take the spotlight, but if nobody else is really volunteering I'll step into the light and let my 'orangeness' shine for a moment before drifting back into obscurity.

I probably didn't explain that too well....heh....but I feel that our clothes we pick, the way we style ourselves can give a hint to how we were feeling when we started out the day. or how we want to feel by the end of the day.
Do you ever wear specific clothes, accessories to send a subtle meaning? To say to the world, only if you are the one who knows the meaning "Hey! This is what I'm feeling today."
-I'm feeling rockstar!
-I'm feeling artistic!
-I'm feeling smartical
-I'm feeling treehuggeri

Often times clothes are just that. Clothes.
Like a rock is any other rock when its a rock.
Yet sometimes things catch our fancy. We're drawn to things that reflect our moods, or perhaps show things we might need, or want.

Its just a thought. What do you think your clothing choice for the day is telling the world?

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day! 

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment