Friday, October 29, 2010

Spiders, Trees, and Pickles.

Today I dropped by my college bookstore because the author, Chris Heimerdinger, was coming to sign books because his newest Tennis Shoes book : Sorcerers and Seers came out a month or so ago. Unfortunately, I already had all his books......at home......where I couldn't get them, but I did talk to him briefly and got a book mark signed :P lol.


But apparently today the bookstore was having a Halloween Sale where almost everything inside was 31% off.
I happened to pass by the Halloween display and saw these shiny spiders. :D
Curious I went over to look at them....
and one of the white haired ladies, who like to hang out by the entrances...possibly to make sure nobody shoplifts, came up to me and started talking.


;) lol I think she was trying to convince me to buy something. :)
I had been looking at a bracelet (SOO SHINY!!) with a spider on it.


She told me, that after Halloween, I could use it as an ornament for Christmas.
Because Spiders hanging from trees are apparently good luck.


*shrugs* That's what she told me.
Place a spider on your Christmas Tree for good luck.
hmmmm


I wonder how that tradition came about.....


lol, another thing she told me was that you also need to hide a pickle somewhere in the tree as well.


....hopefully she didn't mean a real one :S I think that would go rotten....
But with the pickle you hide it in a new place each day, so you are continuously looking for it.


I knew a family who did this....but with an elf....and anywhere in the kitchen or living room was fair game. lol when we did walking groups and went to their house during Christmas time it was always fun to try and find the mini elf and where it was hiding.


....but a pickle........
I don't know.....


lol, I just thought it was interesting the traditions different generations have...I have to wonder what started each tradition.

In the end...
I did end up buying that spider bracelet :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment