Friday, December 21, 2012

A Random Swarm Descended

I didn't think the day would be different from any other day.
It was the usual drama, I had to open almost all of my department...by myself.
Along with finishing the Reptile Bedding changes as well.
The morning started out well enough. I got three sections done, and I'd almost finished with the reptile cages. -I only had one left to finish.
When...
They attacked.
Like a swarm, they descended on the animals.
Wanting birds, hamsters, guinea pigs, bearded dragons, fish, crickets, geckos, Chinese water dragons.
Whirlwind after whirlwind I helped customer after customer after customer.
As the last reptile cage remained mid change.
The birds hadn't been fed, the small pets hadn't been fed, the fish hadn't been fed, or the dead cleaned out, the crickets hadn't been fed or bagged.....
It was CRAZY!
I'd never seen Starsmet so busy in the MORNING.
Usually we get our rush in the afternoons/evenings.
Not so yesterday.
Basically from the time the store opened...I was helping customers.
I had an eight hour shift,
and I managed to finish the last reptile cage, feed the birds, and small pets in that time.
I even had help come in halfway through.
And we still didn't get everything done.
The fish hadn't been fed or the dead cleaned out, the other worker was just starting to bag crickets...
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
It was SUPER CRAZY!
I felt a bit like a spun top.
It was halfway between lunch and dinner...
and the tasks that can usually get done at least an hour or two after the store opens....
Didn't get fully done. Possibly until late into the evening.

I thought it was the beginning of the 'panic' of 'last minute Christmas shopping' but No...today...was like any other morning. A couple of customers here and there, but not the swarm that descended on us out of the blue.
Perhaps it had something to do with the 12.21.12 "End of the World" that was supposed to happen today.
People wanted to buy pets on the 'eve' of it....for who knows why.
Most of them said it was for Christmas...
Perhaps because the kids are now out of school....they decided to go shopping?
Seems a bit backwards to me...don't you want to do your present shopping when the kids are at school?
Who knows.
All I know is that we were superbly weirdly busy and I was at my wits end by the end of the shift.

You can tell how frazzled I was because I accidentally put out some hamsters...that we'd just gotten the day before and we keep them in the back for three days to observe them and make sure they're fine. And I put them out onto the floor...luckily nobody bought any and I realized the mistake before the end of my shift so I switched them out...but that just shows how at wits end I was lol.

Oh man.
I remained hyped up for hours afterwards.
I came into Kikay's room like a hurricane because I was soo...riled up?
It's surprising that the pictures in Kikay's room didn't go flying off the wall.
Needless to say...
I'm glad today wasn't that busy as I don't know I could handle that two days in a row.
Which I might have to...as Christmas gets closer. We'll see if the weekend and Christmas eve brings in more morning swarms. :) lol.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream
Not surprisingly after the day I had yesterday...I dreamt about being at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment