Sunday, April 21, 2013

Money is a Bonus, Not A Requirement

It seems to be part of human nature.
Not to be content with what one has.
But always to search for that 'better life."

Oddly enough...I am content with what I have...
But others don't seem content that I'm content.

It seems like whenever I tell someone about what I'm currently doing....
They aren't...happy about it.
Happy isn't quite the word...but it's close enough.
Instead...they want to know when I'm going to do something 'more.'
"Oh you've done this? Why not this? Why not do this? Shouldn't you be doing this?"

It gets a bit annoying.
"Can't you just be happy for me in this moment? I'm happy about it. Please be happy about it too and not move on to the 'next thing that should make me happy.'

For example...

I never wanted to work at a place just for the money.
I'd seen how discontent people are with jobs they don't like, they just have them to pay the bills.
Since I was young I wanted to always worked at a place that I looked forward to going into work.
That I didn't dread.
I found that at Starsmet.
It may not be the most impressive place on the planet.
Not the highest paying either.
But I love it there.

Now...why can't other people love that I love it there?

lol for example, I got into a conversation,
where I was asked why I wasn't moving back closer to my hometown.
For one thing....it would make my commute to work....like an hour longer.
And working the morning hours...I really didn't want to have to get up at 3am in order to get to work on time.
"But you have friends and family up here. You can get a job up here." was their response.
....but I have friend and family all over the state, I wanted to respond.
Don't get me wrong I love my family, and I enjoy going up there....but I left my hometown because I felt like I was stuck in a rut. I needed a change. I needed to grow. Returning home now...feels like I have to return to who I was...and I'm not quite that person anymore. I don't want to be confined into an image that doesn't fit me anymore.

Anyway...I responded to the second part of their comment. "But I love my job here." I replied.

And suddenly...I was being grilled.
Question after question.
How much do you make? Are you working part time or full?
I answered the questions....totally not liking this Q&A session. It totally made me feel like I was somehow in the wrong.
You work in a petstore right? There are three or four up here you could apply at here, including a Starsmet, you could even get a full time job.

o.O For one. It's not 'a' Petstore. it's STARSMET.
For two. I LOVE it there. Why would I quit a job I love?
For three. There would be no guarantee that I would get a full time job at another pet store. They're more of a part time place with a couple of full time positions. And my job at Starsmet is probably going to give me a full time position when they have one open up.

Going back to two. Seriously. I love my job. I'm not in it for the money. I'm there because I want to be there. I enjoy being around the animals, helping out customers...and more importantly, I love my coworkers. They're a fun group to be around, and switching to a different 'petstore' could mean that my environment wouldn't be as fun. I love working with my coworkers and dealing with their quirks and such. Why would I leave when I'm so happy there? Just to earn more money? Ha.
Money in my mind...makes people more miserable. Especially if they focus on it.
Not my focus. Fun. Happiness. is my focus. The Money is a nice bonus.

I then got a response...that got my back up. If my eyes could blaze...they would have been blazing. Daggers.
"You'll have to move home eventually. What you're making is not going to pay the bills when you're not a student/your parents are helping you pay them.

>.< Excuse me?
Newsflash.
I am not a student. I graduated a year ago.
My parents aren't helping me to pay bills. I've been paying rent. paying utilities.
For.
A. 
Year.
 Now.
With my own hard earned money thank you very much.

Beyond that.
In who's world is it that one goes off to college only to move back in with the parents when you graduate? (
That's not how the world works for me. You move out, and hopefully never move back in with the parents. (I know that isn't always the case, and it's becoming more common to move back in. but..)
To insinuate that I can't take care of myself and that I would need to move back home at some future point.
ooooo
>.< Blazing Eyes.
I do not need to!

They took the news that my parents weren't helping me with surprise.
"How are you able to do that?!"
Apparently making what I make...it shouldn't be possible that I can live out on my own.

Honestly.
It's called budgeting.
I make this much a month.
Half of that goes to rent.
Another hundredish goes to food.
Another fifty to bills.
Another fifty for gas.
Put some into savings.
Pay tithing.
And actually have some fun. go see movies, go out to eat, go shopping.

I'm living within my means.
Sure, sometimes I can't spend as much money in the 'fun' category as I'd love to.
But Patience is a Virtue. :)

"That seems a bit...tight" his response. "But as long as you're happy..."

Yes. It is. Especially if I have a bit too much fun in the fun category.
But in the end. I make ends meet. :)

Personally,
I feel that I can do this because of my parents.
When they were helping me while I was in school.
They just didn't hand me money whenever I needed it.
No.
They gave me a set amount a month.
And that was it until the next month.
Half of it would go to rent.
The other half would be up to my discretion on how to spend it.
And if I overspent...the consequences would be on me.

It's been a huge blessing in my life.
To know how to budget.
that my parents chose to give me one in the first place
And a blessing that I can make enough from work now to be able to make ends meet and have a little extra as well.

Basically.
I'm content. Happy even.
It never was about the money for me.
But that I would be able to have a job I love.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

1 comment: