Thursday, February 12, 2015

A Stick of Gum

Let me illustrate with a personal and treasured experience.
For many years my assignments took me into that part of Germany which was behind what was called the Iron Curtain.
Under Communist control, those who lived in that area of Germany had lost nearly all of their freedoms.
Activities of youth were restricted; all actions were monitored.

Shortly after I assumed my responsibilities for that area, I attended a most uplifting conference held in that part of Germany.
Following the inspirational songs and the spoken word, I felt the impression to meet briefly outside of the old building with the precious teenage youth.
They were relatively few in number but listened to every word I spoke.
They had hungered for the word and encouragement of an Apostle of the Lord.

Prior to attending the conference, before leaving the United States, I felt the prompting to buy three cartons of chewing gum.
I purchased three flavors: Doublemint, Spearmint, and Juicy Fruit.
Now, as the gathering of the youth concluded, I distributed carefully to each youth two sticks of gum--something they had never before tasted.
They received the gift with joy.

The years went by.
I returned to Dresden--the site of our earlier conference.
Now we had chapels; now the people had freedom.
They had a temple.
Germany was no longer separated by political boundaries but had become one nation.
The youth were now adults with children of their own.

Following a large and inspirational conference, a mother and her daughter sought me out to speak to me.
The daughter, who was about your age and who spoke some English, said to me, "President Monson, do you remember long ago holding a brief gathering of youth following a district conference, where you gave to each boy and each girl two sticks of chewing gum?"

I responded, "Oh, yes, I surely do remember."

She continued, "My mother was one to whom you gave the gift.
She told me that she rationed in little pieces one stick of gum.
She mentioned how sweet to the taste it was and so precious to her."
Then, under the approving smile of her dear mother, she handed to me a small box.
As I opened the lid of the box, there I beheld the other stick of gum, still with its wrapper after nearly 20 years.
And then she said "My mother and I want you to have this," she said.

The tears flowed; embraces followed.

The mother then spoke to me: "Before you came to our conference so many years ago, I had prayed to my Heavenly Father to know that He indeed cared about me.
I saved that gift so that I might remember and teach my daughter that Heavenly Father does hear our prayers."

I hold before you tonight that gift--even a symbol of faith and assurance of the heavenly help our Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, will provide you.

-Thomas S. Monson -Pathways to Perfection -April 2002 General Conference

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

Black Widow, Steve Rogers, and a couple other people were in this giant arcade game, that was a bit like a big gymnastic bouncy house with multiple levels and foam pits at a game park, but we were fighting to survive, to keep from getting hurt when bombs kept blowing up when lights would go off in our sight.

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment