Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Roundabout Mishap

Well, I know the brakes on my car work just fine.

It had been rush hour traffic the whole way home.
Meaning there were constantly red tail lights in front of me, cars to either side, and even more behind. Stop. Go. Stop. Go.

Honestly....you'd think after how long we've had the car available, we'd come up with a better method of making Rush Hour Traffic a horror story of the past.

In any case.
To make matters more fun, it was that great stage of the day where the sun had set, and darkness was getting darker.

I'd finally made it off my exit.
Not to head to my home,
but to go to the College for an Institute Class.

Which meant I had to brave the craziness of taking a disjointed route to get to class.
Which included a roundabout.

And said roundabout, is already confusing as it is with multiple turn offs and roads that don't go anywhere and if you miss one....not fun.

I thought I was fine.
I'd waited patiently with all the other cars at the light, for our signal to turn green.
Which meant that we all came swarming at once like bees to the roundabout,
And I kinda assumed that since we were all coming at once to the roundabout, all other traffic would stop and let us through, I hadn't even considered other traffic at all as I thought, for some reason, that it would be stopped, or non existant.
Plus, I was trying to figure out which of the exits was the one I needed to take in that crazy wire mess of a setup. As there are two roads right next to each other, that lead to different places, but going in the same direction, and if I took the wrong one....it would mean a bit of a out of the way detour to get back to the road I wanted to be on.

I'd figured out which exit off the roundabout was mine.
Was gleefully in the midst of passing the first, to go into the second which meant starting the roundabout....

When this white car with bright headlights whizzed out of nowhere!
Taking the roundabout at a crazy speed that had him shooting off like an arrow from the bow! (probably not that fast, but it felt fast to me.)
Because they were coming right at me!!
I slammed on the brakes.
Hard enough that things came flying off the seats to hit the dashboard,
I heard my tires screech as well.
As the maniac whizzed right on by, taking the very exit I'd been heading for.
(okay, so he slowed down to avoid hitting me, but then zoomed right on by.)
>.<

Talk about instant heart attack. My heart pounded frantically, my legs tensed up, my arms got all shaky. Total adrenaline rush through my body at the near miss.

Honestly, I don't know who had the right of way in that situation. I'd just assumed that I had...because all the other cars were going,  
But then again, I was distracted trying to just get to my exit and wasn't paying attention to the roundabout itself.

Thankfully, the angels were watching out for me though.
To keep me safe. :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment