Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Shrinking Violet

Oh how things have changed.

It's often not obvious to see how far you've come in a situation, until you remark on how you had been in the past, and the people with you now can't believe that what you say is true.

So this past couple of weeks, I've been training some new blood in the store.
Finally, I'm getting the people I need in our department so that we can actually run efficiently!
*celebration dance*

For so long I'd been working in a store that was majorly understaffed.
Not because he couldn't afford to hire anyone,
But because previous managers didn't think we needed to.
(Oh we needed to!)

But with a new head manager coming into the store,
Finally things are getting back to how they were when I first started working there.
Meaning,
There will actually be people in the store! Yes!
We have the coverage now (or will be getting it soon.) to get our tasks done but still be able to help customers as well.
Truly, we're not fully staffed yet, but even with the fresh additions we have so far, it's been a noticeable improvement.

In any case.
I've been training new people in my department.
And one such coworker.
Can be described as the "Shrinking Violet." short of personality.
Where it almost seems like if you look at her the wrong way she'll start quivering and be a moment from tears. She's quiet. Willing to learn, but very soft.

Basically how I was when I first started.
I was quiet, kinda had that hunched shoulder thing about me where I expected to be yelled at or make customers unhappy. I was the shrinking violet, happy to not engage with any customers at all if I could help it.

And my new coworker is the same way.
Though I am not concerned about it.
She'll come out of her shell with time.
It's rather overwhelming the first few days or weeks...even a month or so.
It takes time to get comfortable.

My manager mentioned this concern with me, that she was rather quiet and timid.
And I told him I'd been the same way when I first started.

lol, the look on his face told me he didn't believe me before the words came out of his mouth.

Yah. I don't look it now.
I'm confident, happy, able to engage with the customers.
Basically I'm totally opposite of how I first started.

The manager doesn't believe I was anything other than this from the beginning, but he didn't see me at the beginning. lol.

It's the same for me for every new situation I go into. I'm quiet at first and as I get more comfortable with the situation I relax and get more confident.

So I don't think we'll have any problems with our new coworker loosening up as she gets more confident in helping people. :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment