Sunday, February 22, 2015

Tacozanga!

It was one of those inspirational ideas.
After seeing a picture of a Tater Tot Taco Casserole posted on Facebook by a family member.
I mean, I love tacos.
I love Tater Tots.
So to have both of them together?! ()_() Ooo!!
It totally sparked an idea.
I wanted to make that!
Only....there were  a lot of ingredients posted with the 'how to make' picture and...well... Picky Eater me didn't want to deal with things she didn't like. It could ruin the fantasticness that was the Casserole.
So.
I took the concept into my own head.
And created a more Lasagna sorted of concoction. ^^;;
And called it Tacozanga!
 
And guys.
It was delicious!! ^^
 
Therefore, I'm sharing it with you today! ^^
 
So.
Tacozanga.
 
What you need:
 
Hardware: 
  • A brownie Pan. (deep dish pan.)
  • 3 skillets/pots
  • Cookie sheet.
  • Stirring spoons.
  • Measuring Cups
  • Oven and Stove
In this, my first attempt, I ended up using a 9x9 brownie pan because the ingredients about to be listed below didn't spread as much as I thought it would in a bigger pan.
I also ended up not using about a 4th of what I made in the main dish because I made a cheeseless version too. (If you want cheeseless it's going to be the same order, just skip the cheese steps.)
The 9x9 ended up making about 6 servings. And the additional 4th did a good 4 servings, so with what I made it can feed about 10 people.
I don't know how well it would spread if I did use it all in one dish, but if you want thicker layers (and you have a deep enough dish to do so) I would double everything (maybe not the chili...)
 
Food:
  • 1 family sized package of soft shell tortillas (I used La Banderita Flour Tortillas the family pack and the smaller tortillas) 
Image result for La Banderita flour tortillas
  • 2 cans of Nalley Original Chili -Con Carne with Beans
Image result for Nalley Original chili
  • 1 Box of Rice Roni -Mexican Style
    • will need water
    • will need 2 tbsp. of Butter
 Image result for Rice Roni Mexican Style
  • 1 1b lean ground beef
Image result for 1 lb lean ground beef
  • One packet of Old El Paso Original Taco Seasoning
    • Also need water for this.
    •  Image result for Old El Paso original taco seasoning
  • Cheese. Lots and Lots of Cheese.
    • -For this I used 1 package of Cache Valley Presliced Medium Chedder
    • -Also took some Tillamook Medium Chedder Cheese and shredded/grated it.
    • -I think any cheese brand would work. :)
 
 Image result for Cache Valley sliced medium cheddar cheese
  • 1 Bottle of Pace Mild Picante Salsa
  • Image result for pace mild picante salsa
  • 1 Bag of Tater Tots (I used the OreIda brand for this on
Image result for Oreida tater tots

Instructions:
 
-I try to Multi Task everything to ensure that each dish is still hot when it's placed in the Tacozagna.
-Originally I'd planned to place frozen tater tots on top and bake it in the oven, but I ran out of time for this. So I have no idea how that would actually work out....
-Again, Warning, you will be cooking multiple different dishes at once.
 
Cooking:
  • I started off the process by preheating the Oven to 425 Degrees, allowing it to preheat as I cooked.
  • Next I took one skillet (or pot) and turned the heat to Medium and with the butter and the rice, browned the rice before adding in the water (2 1/4 cups) and seasoning. I brought the water to a boil and then turned it down low to simmer for an additional 20 minutes. (about 30 minutes in total.)
  • In a different skillet -after I set the Rice to simmer- I took the 1lb of Ground Beef and browned it before adding in water (2/3 cups) and the Old El Paso Taco Seasoning, again turning the heat down to low to allow the sauce to thicken once it was stirred in.
    • Depending on if you have to thaw the meat or not it will take 10-20minutes.
  • Also about the point of the Rice being placed on a simmer (and the oven being ready) I placed the whole bag of Tater Tots on a cookie sheet and placed them in the oven to cook for 22minutes (20-24mins) -This can happen a little later as the Tater Tots are the Top Layer of the Tacozanga so you want these done last.
  • Next in yet a different skillet (or pot) I poured in the two cans of Chili and warmed them up. Like 5 minutes.
Building the Tacozanga:
  • Layer the bottom of the Brownie Pan with Soft Shell Tacos -so that the food won't leak out.
  • Place Chili on top of the  Soft Taco Shells. Spread Evenly.
  • Layer sliced cheese on top of the Chili.
  • Place Rice on top of the Cheese. Spread Evenly.
    • (for those who love cheese you could add more cheese slices here as well.)
  • Add in another Layer of Soft Shell Tacos.
  • Place Taco Meat on top of Soft Shell Tacos. Spread Evenly.
  • Add the Pace Mild Salsa in a fine layer on top of the meat.
  • Then place another Layer of Cheese slices on top of that.
  • Take Tater Tots and cover the top with them.
  • Take Shredded Cheese and sprinkle over the Tater Tots.
Walla!! Tacozanga! ^^
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
(Sorry, I didn't think to take a picture before we dug in. ^^;;)
I ended up placing the pan into the oven for 5 or so minutes to make sure the cheesy layers melted as I finished a little early as well.
 
Additions:
  • I served Lettuce on the side, and if I had Tomatoes would have had diced Tomatoes on the side as well.
  • It's a recipe that could probably do well with additions for those who like other traditional Taco toppings like:
    • Sour Cream
    • Black Olives
    • Chives
    • Peppers
    • Onions
  • The Meat and Rice end up giving the whole thing a nice spicy flavor so the veggies listed above may not be needed.
  • Fun side affect is that the hot meat/chili on top of the flour tortillas will make it poof up for a chewy bread sort of thing. :)
Hope you guys like and enjoy!! ^^
 
 Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment