Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Floodageddon

I nearly flooded my store today.
Well, I did flood my store today, I just managed to keep the mess from getting to the main floor where people could see it....for the most part.

How did I manage to create such a mess?
Well...it wasn't on purpose.
Like most floods are I suppose. lol.

Though I suppose most floods don't start when doing the weekly tank maintenance (aka scrubbing my little arms sore.)
I was doing some prep work with our fish tanks.
Namely my favorite task of cleaning them.
Gravel Vacuuming.
Which meant, that I needed to have the sink conveniently located behind the fish tanks in use. As our gravel vacuum connects to it so that the dirty fish water goes straight into the drain and I don't have to lug heavy buckets back and forth.

Only, when I turned on the sink and hooked everything up.
I didn't think much about what was in the sink.
Namely, one of our scrubbing pads, used to scrub algae from said fish tanks being located there.
So I turned on the water to create the suction to vacuum from the tanks,
went out on the floor.
and thought nothing more about it. I mean, I'd done this hundreds of times before....and no major problems then.

Work proceeded as normal.
Me helping people.
Me vacuuming tanks.

I'd finally gotten to my last tank in the set I was supposed to be cleaning...
when the suction suddenly stopped working.
Obviously that meant there was a clog somewhere I had to unstuck, which meant that I needed to go to the back room to fix it.

And what did I find when I went back there?

Floodageddon.

The sink.
Bursting with water.
Sending torrents of it over the edge and onto the floor.
A nice river of water, spreading in all directions.
Heading towards the open spaces that lead to the main floor.

Talk about.
PANIC!!!


I raced to the sink, frantically turning off the water, and reached into the sink to find out what had clogged it.
Cue, that scrubbing pad. >.< It had floated over the drain and become stuck there. Making it difficult for more than a trickle of water to exit in its prescribed exit pattern.

And so it went for a different route.
Unfortunately, not for the drain that was in the floor nearby.

I had only moments to act to save the rest of the store from seeing the flood seep out from behind the fish tanks.
I ran back and forth, grabbing a towel to place at the head of the waters, stopping it in it's tracks, and quickly found some more to keep it from finding a different route back out.
Then, I grabbed a broom, as there was very little time to run to the back of the store to the mops, and frantically began sweeping the water back towards the sink and the drain on the floor located nearby.

Thankfully, after a bit of work, I managed to save the day.
The floor remained rather wet, and there were certain areas I couldn't reach, yet for the most part, the water had been sent to the drain where it belonged.

The only sign of anything gone wrong outside of that room,
was some slight water leakage from under the tanks.
Easily dismissed as spill from the tanks above from someone getting fish.

Whew.
The day was saved!
Though now...I really need to be careful about making sure the sink is more empty.
I don't need another Floodageddon anytime soon.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi



No comments:

Post a Comment