Sunday, July 19, 2015

Miscommunication

Miscommunication.
The foe of all plans.

The plan of today?
To meet up with my sister so I could go to her ward for church.
Because her ward starts at a much earlier time than mine.

As we were meeting up with my parents to celebrate their birthdays.
And we'd have more time with them if we just went to her sacrament meeting and drove up afterwards.

The problem?
Well....they weren't meeting in their usual spot today.
Instead choosing to meet in a different location.
The 'MSB' building.

Problem is.
Kikay and I didn't go to this particular College Town Campus instead, we went to the neighboring school.
So all the acronyms for the buildings....go over our head.
We have no idea where the buildings are.
And annoyingly enough, everyone here practically assumes you know where it is. So they don't give instructions or anything.

So I went to google.
And pulled up a campus map. To search for this MSB building.

And all I found was a building labeled MSRB.
Did Kikay forget a letter? So I checked with her.
But she didn't know.
But there wasn't any other building with that acronym.
So I figured that had to be the place.

But to be sure, I planned to get on site early.
That way if I happened to be at the wrong building, I would have time to walk over to the right building.
As I planned to meet up with Kikay.... I figured we could find the place together.
So I waited.
And waited.
And waited.
And the time for the church to start got closer
and closer
and closer.

I'd expected Kikay to come by sooner.
But she'd decided last minute, to get a ride with her roommates,
Who knew where they were going.

Two minutes to church starting.

And she realizes.
Where they're going.
Isn't.
On.
Campus.

No. The MSB?
Stands for Multi-Stake Building.
Which is a few blocks south of campus.
A place where multiple stakes can meet up at once (hence its name.)
A place that I actually knew where it was at.

But Kikay who'd been given landmarks of "It's by this food place, and this gym." Hadn't thought that that would be helpful to me because it wasn't helping her.
It would have helped me.
I'd gone to the building before, had had institute there, had had meetings there. I knew the place.
I just hadn't heard of it referred to as the MSB. >.<

Acronyms should ONLY BE USED FOR CAMPUS BUILDINGS!! Gah!!

Ugh.
This.
This is why I'd shown up to campus EARLY.
So when the potential mistake was realized. I would have TIME to get to the correct place.
But being half an hour early.
Amounted to nothing.

Because the mistake wasn't realized until a minute or two before church started.
Which. If I had been like a minute or two away from my car.
Wouldn't have been a problem.
Because the place was like 5 minutes away.
I could have gotten there quickly.

Except.
There were no parking lots by this MSRB building.
I'd walked like ten minutes from an actual parking lot to GET to that building.
It would take basically as long to walk back. and another 10 ish minutes or so to get to the actual building I was supposed to be at.

Which would make me 20 minutes late.

So.
Frustrated.
I walked into the MSRB building.
Heard music playing and followed it upstairs
To another ward. That was meeting at the same time.

Thankfully. In College Town, there are wards all over the place nearby. Especially on Campus.
So I was able to attend a sacrament meeting there.
If not at my sister's place.

I was able to meet up with her once the meeting was over.

Still.
I think we were both frustrated.
Because of a lack of communication. Because of those assumptions I mentioned earlier in the week.
Her roommates weren't communicating well with her.
I felt that we should have figured it out sooner had we met up earlier.

*sighs*

This is why I try to find places I've 'never been to' before, before the actual meeting time.
Because I don't have to stress about actually making it to my meeting on time.

Yah.... it could have gone differently.
It didn't.
There was probably a reason why we didn't meet up when we'd planned to.

But things worked out in the end. :)

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment