Friday, July 10, 2015

Never Say Never

It seems like recently...
The more I protest against something. Saying I want this. I will never that. I won't do this...

I end up having to cave.
And end up not getting what I want, doing what I said I would never do.

Basically I'm pulled nearly kicking and screaming into doing something I didn't want to do in the first place.

Of course.
I'm talking about the Apartment Search, that me and my friends had been doing.

I think last I mentioned it.

The situation was.
I thought we were going to be moving into a house, was blindsided by them wanting to move into a condo apartment with just the three of us, and not a fourth roommate. That just felt...Tiny.
And they loved it.
They wanted to accept it ASAP
And I wanted to have a chance to check out other apartment places first, Before we considered anything. Because one thing for sure, I WAS NOT going to LIVE in that small apartment.
And then my friends dropped the bombshell. They were going to accept the apartment. The FIRST one we looked at together.

I told them. Okay. Have fun. I'm not living there. Go find a different roommate.

And we went our separate ways.

For a week or so.

After a conversation or two.
We decided to try again.
To try and find a place to move into together.

So the search began a new.
Once we hammered out our expectations, our price points.
We commenced a searching.
Now on the same page.

We checked out a few places a little further away from the main area.
But decided that we didn't want to drive that far.
Checked out a few places locally.
Or tried to.
But many ended up getting sold out from under us, often before we could view the apartment we had an appointment for.

At one point, I caved. And said I'd be willing to move into the first first apartment we all looked at.
Only to have that sold out from under us as well. *sighs* (See, that NEVER betrayed me once more.)

And all the while.
Time was passing.
We were drawing closer, and closer, and closer to my move out deadline of my current place.

But nothing was working.
And there began to be discussion,
That perhaps we could do a four bedroom apartment (aka student housing) and have a fourth roommate.
They didn't want that at first.
But as more and more time passed.
With no results.

And my friends expectations shifted lower and lower.
Things they were adamant against, they were now realizing could possibly be doable.

Possibly, because they realized, that their price range....was a little low, for all they wanted.

Finally, we found an apartment, were we checked it out, and agreed.
We could live here.
By this point. We just needed to get into a place. And this one looked good.
So we sent in our applications for the apartment.

And.....it got sold out from under us again. >.<

At this point...it was basically agreed we'd be checking out student housing.

At this point.
I had grown so tired of the search.
Worn down.
Annoyed at the fact we couldn't find anything.

To the point.
Where I gave in.

From the beginning, I said that I wanted to move out of my current place.
It just hadn't been a great environment for me. The experience...less than stellar.
And honestly, I'd been looking forward to finally leaving this place.
I wanted an apt with a Washer and Drier in the apartment.
With more light.
With the possibility of getting pets.

*sighs*
Apparently....I'm meant to stay here a while longer though.
Who knows why the Lord wants me here.
But.
I brought up the option to my friends that we could stay in my current place.
(Bonus is that I don't have to pack, move, unpack, and I would have my current roommate, that I love being with, with me. As she'd already re-signed to live here for another year.)

They knew I literally 'hated' this place.
So it surprised them that I would offer.
But at this point, I know the routine at my current place. Its near by. Its someplace we can all afford.
It seemed like a good last option.
Because I honestly didn't want to search anymore.

So the same day I found out our applications had been rejected from the other apartment,
I wandered over to the office.
And asked the girl there.
"Is there still a chance I could resign to live here?"
-Originally I just wanted to stay here for the shortest amount of time, which would have been April.
Again, my wants...didn't come to pass. As the shorter lease meant waaaay more money. I'd be paying like $100 more in rent/utilities. And it would go over my friends budget. So we'd have to sign up for a full year to get the lower prices.
*sighs*
In any case, the girl at the desk, checked it out and said that "yes. You can. I can start the paper work now."
But then I dropped the bombshell.
"Also...I have two friends....who want to move in as well. Would it be possible to get us all in my current apartment? Because I want to live with the girl that's staying there as well."
(Could I get one thing I wanted? To live with my favorite roommate?)
The girl looked up my apartment.
And it turned out, they'd already placed three girls into my apartment for the Fall semester.

Ah.
I didn't want to have to move within the same complex!!!
But.
The girl went and checked things out with a couple other people.
To see if they'd be able to move the girls to different apartments.
One was moving in by herself.
The other two wanted to room together.
But Thankfully.
They would be able to move them out.
Provided that we signed up that night. So that they could move quickly.

After checking in with my friends. (Who I'm pretty sure are just as tired of searching for apartments as I was.) We all agreed that yes. We would move in. That we would stay in my current place.

So I resigned my contract.
And I thought my friends had as well.
Though they sent stress my way, because they were like "So...there's the possibility that we won't be able to move into your apartment."
O.o WHAT?!?!? No. I was promised we could stay in my current place.
Apparently they'd called the office for some questions, and a different girl hadn't known the situation, but after she'd hung up with my friends, she checked with someone who was in the know and had confirmed that indeed we could stay in my apartment.
I confirmed once more, rushing over to the office to make sure everything was clear.
And was told that yes, we could still move into my place, and that my friends would be coming down the next day to do some things.

Great.
Sounded good.
We would be getting into my apartment!

Only, this morning, I got a call from the original girl who'd helped me.
Asking if my friends had put in their applications? Because she didn't see them on the computer.
()_() WHAT?!?!
Gah! I'd told them that they needed to sign the documents last night so we could guarantee that we'd get into my apartment!
So again, pins and needles.
Again, stress...stress leading to a headache.
I broke down and bought a Dr. Pepper at work for the caffeine to help that headache.
Was I going to be forced to switch apartments after everything?!?!

It turns out, my friends hadn't signed the applications because they were having trouble viewing them online. So the office people had told them to come into the actual office to sign the paper work there so they would be on hand to answer any questions.
Plus.
One of my friends, this very day, got accepted for a new job here in College Town.
Which meant she needed to move in sooner than the actual move in date.
Which again, involved having to come into the office to work things out.

Surprisingly though,
This was able to help out one of my Ghost Roommates.
As she only had a month left in her contract.
But literally has been a ghost, because she hasn't lived in the apartment for a couple of months, due to work being closer to her parents place than my place. So she's never been here. And has been basically throwing money away.

Since my one friend needed to move down here sooner.
I brought it up to her that my Ghost Roommate had been hoping to get out of her contract early. And that my friend could take it over, if that was the best solution for my friend.

Which. Apparently it was.
Because as soon as I got off work, and headed to the office where my friends already were.
There was my Ghost Roommate.
Her and my friend were in the middle of exchanging the contracts.

So this weekend, my Ghost Roomie officially disappears!! YES! (finally, been waiting for this for a while.)
And technically my friend will be moving in the day after Ghost Roomie disappears.
Technically.
Due to needing to square away things back in HomeTown, and going on vacation, its going to be a few more weeks before she moves in.

But when its all said and done. BOTH of my friends are going to be moving In with me!
So I get my current roommate and my friends in the apartment that I've disliked for more than a year.

Its amazing how quickly this all worked out.
Everything fell into place so fast.
We were able to keep my apartment, keep my roommate, move in all together.

It's actually kinda scary (in a good way) how well this has worked out.

Which makes me wonder.
How much of our struggles....were due to my own stubborn headedness.
If I hadn't been stubborn, we could have moved into the first first apartment we looked at.
If I hadn't been vocal about this and that.... we could have moved into an apartment faster.
If I had been less hateful of my current place.... perhaps something could have happened sooner.

But.
It worked out.

Though it's interesting.
Because everytime I'd bring up that I was going to move from my current apartment....
People would ask me why.
Why move?

Why?
Because I wanted a Washer/Dryer in my apartment.
Because I wanted to have access to Cable TV again.
Because my experience with the roommates here had been horrible before Iz moved in.
Because the ward is Young, and I haven't felt a part of it.

There were many reasons.
Reasons to stay? Not so much.
I loved my bed as its bigger.
Love my roommate.
Love the closeness to work.
And especially like not having to Pack up all my stuff. Because there is  a lot of it. lol.

But every time.
People were like "Why move?"
Why move indeed?
Apparently its the hint I wasn't seeing that I should stay.

So staying I am.
Why I'm still here, I'm not sure. It's for a reason....
And maybe....just maybe it will get better.
I mean, for the first time since I moved down to CollegeTown 7 years ago....
I'm going to be living with people I know.
No strangers.

Its weird. But I like it.

So, perhaps I should be more cautious with my ultimatums of NEVER.
Because it seems like the more I vocalize that its NOT going to happen.
The more likely it will be that it will.

Which makes me wonder....
>.>
As the girl in the office was like "Remember, we do have our Marriage Guarantee."
(basically if you get married while you live here, you can get out of your contract early and not have to pay fees and such.)
And I'm like "Ha. Not going to happen. I have no prospects right now."

Now...though...with all this talk of Nots and Nevers...
Am I going to end up getting married because I said I wasn't?

Who knows.
Guess we'll see what the future holds. :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment