Tuesday, September 22, 2015

A Missionary Moment

The door bell rang.
An unusual occurrence in the middle of the day;

So it came as no surprise that when I opened the door....
There was this sales person standing there.
Cue the mental rolling of the eyes, and the air of regret that I'd actually answered.
I hate telling people no, you know?
I'd rather pretend that I wasn't there instead of listening to them talk and then telling them I'm not interested.

This particular sale's guy was part of some cleaning company. That vacuumed and cleaned and did other tasks.
Considering our house is now mostly wood floors.
It was kinda pointless to have a vacuum.
Plus I had the convenient excuse that my Dad had made a huge mess in the house.
(It was rather contained, but the sale's guy didn't know that.)
So it wasn't really in a 'clean the floors' sort of condition.

Still, he kept talking to me.
Not so much on the cleaning thing once I showed that I wasn't interested and that I wasn't going to take away my Dad from his organizing to come talk to him.
But instead he kept getting distracted by all the things we had in our yard and hanging around the Porch.
Like a rose quartz rock. A couple of rock art pieces based off of native American petroglyphs, some metal faces that resembled the head of Odin, Labyrinth mazes, more rocks...
Basically not your typical decorations for an LDS home. lol.
It's stuff that we've had around the house so long that I didn't think much of it....nor could I remember exactly what everything was.
But the guy was so interested in it.
Interested to know that my Dad collected most of the stuff.
Interested that we were LDS but we had other cultures/religions/beliefs/traditions around the yard.

So I finally offered to go get my Dad.
So he could tell the sale's guy exactly what everything was.

And after a bit of talking, of the rocks and things we had, plus the LDS beliefs.
My dad ended up giving the gentleman a copy of a Book of Mormon, for him to read.
As it really can help clarify a ton of questions that he had about everything. (He wasn't LDS.)

Which I thought was really cool.
Because my Dad was able to turn an annoyance of having a sales person on the door step....into a missionary opportunity. To share our beliefs, and give the guy a chance to learn more about the gospel.

I really regret that I wasn't the one to take that initiative. To tell him more about things, as seriously...most of what was going through my head was "Get him gone. Don't want to buy anything. Leave."
And in reality, it was a good opportunity to connect, to share common interests, to share what we believe.

I'm just glad that I took the time to actually go get my Dad after a while....
Because originally I hadn't planned to involve him at all.
So if it weren't for the fact that my Dad had all this cool stuff in the yard, stuff that the sale's guy actually had an interest in and some knowledge in.
They wouldn't have met up.
They wouldn't have chatted.
And the sale's guy wouldn't have gotten a Book of Mormon from us.

And he genuinely seemed to want to read it.

I walked out of the house a few minutes later, after he'd left.
And saw him down the street, sitting in the shade in front of another person's house, reading the book. He was only there for a few minutes before I saw him get up, and with the book still open, it's white pages shining in the light, walk on down to the next house out of sight.

I hope he enjoys the book. ^^ It can be such a good source of inspiration, of comfort, of answers to questions. Maybe the Book of Mormon will be the change to his life that he's been searching for.

:) I'll probably never see how it all turns out with him. My family probably won't either.
but at least I got to see a possible beginning.

So glad that we took the time to talk...that he stuck around. Because maybe....maybe we were an answer to his prayers.
Only time will tell I suppose. :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment