Saturday, September 26, 2015

Where to Park?

So, there was this comic con over the weekend.
That I went to.
It  was awesome!
Amazing!
Wonderful.
Got to see/hear so many people and things.
So much fun!

But you know what isn't fun about big events like this?
All the people.
Surprisingly all the people wasn't a headache inducer like it usually is for me.
But parking on the other hand...
That is an issue.

As with these sort of events.
The parking lots suddenly cost money.
Lots of money.

And I'm like....I'm already paying a lot of money to enter the building.
Why do I need to pay to park?

Luckily.
I knew of a parking lot.
Only a few blocks away.
Out of the main traffic patterns.
It was a church parking lot. And I've parked there before for other events.

But this time around....
There were signs posted.
Basically "Do not park here if you're not authorized to park here." sort of signs. Stating that they will tow you if you're not supposed to be there.

But my thoughts were....
How do they know if I'm not supposed to be there?
I mean...it's a church parking lot.
Public space.
If there are other cars there....
You'd never know that I wasn't supposed to be there.
Because there are no stickers or anything to say "Hey, I belong here!"

So I chose to park there.
Albeit at the back of the parking lot.
So I wasn't taking any close lots by the main street.

Though I worried.
What if somehow they knew?
Knew I wasn't supposed to be there?
And I'd get back from the con and my car would be gone. Towed away. And I'd be stuck...in a parking lot. Without my car.
:S

Still. I took the risk.
and it paid off.
I got back from my day and the lot was full.
My car was still there.
No worries! Yay!
Plus it probably helped that I was only there for like 5 hours.
Which could be a small work shift. Something that people wouldn't notice.

The second day of the con I decided to try again.
This time someone had gotten smarter.
And closed the bar gate to the entrance of the main road it was located on.
:( Boo.
But lucky me.
I knew there was a back entrance.
And that gate wasn't shut.
So I could still get in.

Which I did.
And parked. Again towards the back.
With a bit more worry this time.
Would they be able to tell I wasn't 'supposed' to be there?

How could they?
I mean...there were people there on the nearby grassy field playing a game. I could have been one of those people.

Still I dithered for a moment...wondering if I should stay, before I decided to stay parked there.

I came back at the end of another con day. Again about 5 hours or so.
To find my car still alright!
Yay!
Again I was able to leave without any problems. :D Woot!

Still.
I thought I'd been pushing my luck a bit much.
Once it's okay.
Twice you're pushing it.
Three times...more than likely I'll get caught.

So I resolved to park in a nearby lot that I would pass on my way to the 'free' lot. That would only cost me $10 to park there for the day.
Which if I stayed the whole day like I was planning to this time.
Would be like $1 an hour.
Not too bad.

However.
When I got there.
Early in the morning.
O.o
The lot was closed.
It wasn't open yet!! :S Uhmmmm....
I  wanted to park there guys....
And I had no intention of circling around the city looking for another $10 fee place.
Because I was trying to get there early. To get in line. To be able to try and get in a panel that started right as the con opened up. No time to waste searching for a spot.

So. I took it as a sign.
That I could again park in the lot.
Though if there were no cars there....then I would go find some place else to be.
Yet when I got there.
There were once again cars.
Therefore.
For the third time.
I parked in the lot.
Wondering if my luck had finally run out.
Accepting that there was a possibility that I would probably find my car gone or at least a ticket there....though really crossing my fingers that it once again wouldn't happen.

Once again, at the end of the con, about my usual time.
I returned to the lot.
And at first didn't see me car....
Because other bigger cars were blocking my  view.
Because once again the parking lot was full.
Not unexpected, considering that the third day.
There was another big event going on in town.
The LDS General Women's Conference was taking place. Had barely started when I got back to my car.

Which had no ticket.
Yay!
But.
As I pulled out.
I noticed a guy sitting on the bar gate to the back entrance.
An 'offical' looking guy. Parking guy/security guy/ police officer guy.
Not totally sure....

But I was completely sure that my luck had finally run out.
He would ask me to roll down my window.
Give me a ticket. Demand a parking fee.
Who knew.

I pulled out.
Hesitated as I pulled up to him.
But he just sat there.
Staring at me.
Not doing anything.
So I smiled.
Waved.
And went on my merry way.

Without him attempting to stop me.

Phew.
What a blessing.
I saw another guy on a side street near the lot going down the line of cars there.
I wonder if he was giving tickets...
Who knows.
I don't know if the guy at the gate was just watching to make sure no one tried to break into the cars.

In any case.
It probably helped that I wasn't obviously dressed for comic con.
And I wasn't coming out when the Women's Conference was over.
Because that had just started.

So I think I legitimately looked like I belonged there.
Therefore.
It looked like I should be leaving about that time.

Ah.
Ah. So glad that I was able to not have to spend extra money to park.
Probably won't get away with it next year.
Oh well.
It helped make the Comic Con this year a great experience!! ^^

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment