Wednesday, March 2, 2016

A Long Wednesday

Wednesdays are probably the most stressful day of the week at the moment, for work.
At least, whenever my manager and I are scheduled to open together.
Because when its the two of us....
It really ends up just being me who is opening the department.
As BB's main focus is to ensure all our numbers in regards to our animals are correct.
So if it says we have four bearded dragons in our system, we need to make sure that we have four bearded dragons in the tank.

Since BB's still new to the whole animal inventory thing. She tends to focus on just that. Counting all the animals.

While...when me, or even previous managers have done the inventory, they've opened the department at the same time.
As in. When they open the cage to compare the number of animals inside the cage to the ones on the list...they also ensure that there is fresh food and water in said cage.

But BB is different, in that she's never worked in my Dept before.
Considering we no longer technically have a Manager over my department....
It's not surprising.
Technically the only thing that BB should be involved in is the paperwork part of the department. And if an animal needs to go to the vet, she'll take them to the vet.
But the day to day tasks? Basically left up to me and to my coworkers to complete.

In any case.
It was a lot less stressful to open the department when there were actually two of us opening the department.
Because then I could multitask. Have the coworker do that day's cage cleaning assignment, while I made sure all the other animals were accounted for and present as well as fed/watered.

Don't get me wrong.
I have mentioned this system to BB before.
But she seems to the type where she needs to figure things out on her own, and only likes to be told ideas when its her idea to ask for ideas. Or ask to see if there is an easier way.

So I've kept rather quiet about the fact that she's only doing the animal counting.
And leaving me to open the entire department by myself.

Which means that I have to do that day's bedding change (which is usually a three hour job) and then open up the rest of the floor. (which can take 2-3 hours) before feeding the fish and scrubbing tanks -difficult to do when I can't use my injured arm.) etc etc.

I know she means well....
And I know she's trying.

But really....it makes for a very very very long day at work.
Which is great in that I can keep tasking for most of my shift.
But bad because I feel stressed throughout it all.

Trying to figure out ways to get everything done in a timely manner while also helping customers at the same time.
It's a puzzle I haven't yet solved.
But I feel that I'm getting closer to cracking it. :)

Guess we'll see.
I'm just glad that I managed to get through it once more. :)

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment