Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Ringed Pieces

Do you ever have something you always wear?
Like you're never seen without it.
And if you happen to forget to wear said item that day....
You feel incomplete. Like something is missing?

For me, that's usually one of three items.
My watch.
My necklace.
Or my Ring.

Now for like the last.....forever.
I've worn basically the same ring nearly everyday for years.

It's a silver ring, with a turquoise stone in the center.
With huge sentimental value.
As this ring, belonged to my Daddoo before he gave it to me.
I feel like I was given it around the same time I went to college....
In any case.
It's a ring that fits me really well.
stays steady.
Doesn't flip about on my finger.
And of course, reminds me of my Daddoo, and in some ways, my Great Grandma Maren (the inspiration for me starting this blog.) as she gave the ring to him first when he was a preteen/teenager.

In any case.
I've worn the ring a lot.
A. L.O.T.

lol.
And at one point a couple of years ago....
It was sometime after I started working at Starsmet.
That a portion of it cracked.
It was the narrowest point of the ring. Where there was already a slight divet in it.
But after a little bit of fiddling.
I managed to get it back in place,
To where the crack was a nonissue.

And went about my merry way.

Until like....two days ago?

Where I was doing something.
And the ring randomly caught on...something I was wearing or something I was helping a customer with.
And it lifted up.
Like a hang nail or something.
Which was surprising.
As nothing like that has ever happened to it before. O.o
It's always been so steady.
In any case, I bent it back down into place.
And forgot about it.
Until last night, when I took of my ring.
And felt it be really wigglely as I did so.
Looking closer at the ring.
I saw that there was a fissure on the other side of my ring.
Basically the first crack was located on the left side of my finger, the new fissure was located on the right side of my finger.
It seemed a bit more fragile than I'd ever felt it be/or see it be before.
Which was worrisome.
So I made the decision to take it into the Jewelry Doctor in the mall the next day after work, To get it stabilized, as I didn't want the ring to break. :S

So the next morning.
I put on my ring like usual.
Went out into the cold to my car.
Got in, sat down, and rubbed my hands together really quickly to warm them up.
And...
Tragedy.
A piece of my ring feel off!
It was too much. The stress too much.
And the ring broke apart. :(
A whole section. Like 3/8 of an inch gone.
Not totally missing as it fell in my lap.

So I had all the pieces together.
I didn't loose anything. So yay for that!
But there was no way that I could wear the ring. :(
Not without risking loosing it.
Which with how important this ring is to me...
Not an option. :S

-It's a good thing that this didn't happen last week when I was in a super bad mood.
As it probably would have been the last straw of a lot of broken straws.
But since I'm kinda on an tentative upswing right now, not as bad or devastating as it could have been a week ago.

In any case.
I made the sad decision.
To leave the broken ring in my car.

Ah.
How difficult work was!!
I felt totally incomplete for that 8 hour shift without my ring on my finger.
As honestly it's my 'go to fiddle object' when I'm bored/talking to customers/nervous etc.

So I was rather anxious to dash over to the mall and get my ring fixed.
I figured it would be similar to when I got my necklace fixed.
That they'd do it then and there or maybe it would take like an hour and I could hang out....
I also figured since it was a bit more broken than my necklace....it would cost a bit more.

I was right on that point.
Unfortunately. Since it was in two different pieces.
And needed to be welded together.
And because it was silver and turquoise....which don't do well in welding heat....a more specialized laser needed to be used....

It cost more.
It was basically $45 per side.
So $90 fix.
But what is money to a priceless sentimental ring?
Lol I was judging it would be anywhere from $40-$100 So I was prepared.

Yet! Good news!
When the Jewelry Doctor found out that I was a repeat customer.
He gave me a discount!
So I would only be spending $60 to fix my ring.
It's money.
But worth it.

Unfortunately.... :(
It wasn't going to be fixed today. Y_Y
No....I won't be getting my ring back until Monday. Y_Y
That's like...nearly a week without my ring!!
Sooo...depressing.
Y.Y

Still....a fixed ring will be the result right??
And if there's like a cancellation or something takes less time then expected, he may get to it earlier....
But Monday....at the latest. :)

In the meantime, I guess I just have to dust off some of my other rings and wear them in the meantime.
Because I can't go a week without having something there.
So the other rings get a chance for a field trip :)
Should be fun.
Not the same.
But fun! :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi


No comments:

Post a Comment