Friday, September 30, 2016

A Conversation

It's not often that I get to use my sign language skills at work.

But today I was able to. :)

I'd just gotten off break, and as I was heading back to the fish wall.
-Since most of the customers in my dept are at the fish wall.
I noticed a customer in a wheel chair by the hamsters.
So I went to ask her if she needed help.

To which she said yes, her daughter wanted a hamster.
And then she signed something to her daughter.

Most people possibly wouldn't have noticed it.
But....having been an ASL major...I tend to pay attention when people move their hands. Seeing if they're actually signing something or not.

The woman had her daughter lead me to the particular hamster cage she wanted the hamster from.
To which she happily pointed at it.

So I signed "You Want?" pointing to the cage. It was only a half gesture really, as I wasn't sure if she actually knew sign language or not.

To which when I turned to her. Her eyes had lit up, a bright smile on her face. "You know sign?!" she asked excitedly in ASL.

To which I said Yes I did.

lol. It was fun to converse with her.
I mean I talked with her mom in English explaining our return policy and suggestions on how to handle the hamster.
But then I turned to the girl and in Sign explained to her as well what I'd just said.

lol. I had a small audience at that point. Curious customers watching me converse with the girl.

The light of excitement and wonder in their eyes as well.
The thought of "LOOK THESE PEOPLE ARE SIGNING!! Isn't that COOL!" very apparent on their faces. haha.

It definitely a feel good moment for me though.
That I was able to communicate with the girl and let her know information about how to care for her hamster. ^^

lol.
The downside to signing for those ten or so minutes.
Was that it was rather difficult for me to stop signing after that point.
I had to literally take a second and say "Sarnic, remember to speak English." to myself. lol. As once I get into the signing mode, I like to stay in it.
;) Which amused me coworkers and some customers to no end. lol.

Ah well.
At least I got to use my signing skills. :D I quite enjoy it when it's just normal conversations. :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment