Thursday, September 8, 2016

Potatoes

To illustrate, may I share with you an experience which took place several years ago when Sister Monson had been hospitalized because of a fall.
She asked me to go to the supermarket and purchase a few items.
this was something I had not done before.
I had a shopping list which included potatoes.
I promptly found a grocery cart and placed a number of potatoes in it.
I knew nothing of the plastic bags in which purchases are normally placed.
As I moved the cart along, the potatoes fell out and onto the floor, exiting through two rather small openings in the back of the cart.
A dutiful clerk hurried to my aid and called out, "Let me help you!"
I tried to explain to her that my cart was defective.
It was only then that I was told that all the carts had those two holes in the back and that they were meant for the legs of children.

Next the clerk took my list and helped me find each item.
Then she said, "You are Bishop Monson, aren't you?"

I answered that many years earlier I had indeed been a bishop.
She continued: "At that time I lived on Gale Street in your ward and was not a member of the Church.
You made certain the girls who were members contacted me each week and took me with them to Mutual and other activities.
They were fine young women whose friendship and kindness touched my heart.
I want to let you know that the fellowshipping you arranged for me led to my being baptized and confirmed a member of the Church.
What a blessing this has been in my life," she said, "and I thank you for your kindness."

You can share your testimony in many ways--by the words you speak, by the example you set, by the manner in which you live your life."

-Thomas S. Monson -Be Thou an Example -April 2005 General Conference

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment