Sunday, September 11, 2016

Dreaded Group Work

I've never liked working in groups.

I'm the type of person who likes to do things their own way, on their own.
I'm also the type of person where if there is a teacher in the room...I believe they should be teaching, not forcing us to teach each other in groups of our peers.
While my peers may know some things, I often feel like I know more than them...

And because I know more than them.
I end up feeling like I have to become the teacher.
The leader.

So in group work, I often take charge, just so I know when and how and where things are going to get done.
But that just puts stress on me.
Especially when I wasn't in the mood to be the leader, to talk to others to work in a group.

*shakes head*

Today was my first time being able to attend a Sunday School class in my new ward.
As last week I went to this "New Member" class that my ward holds.
(Which is actually pretty handy, wonder why other wards haven't done it....)
Where we introduced ourselves and got some basic info on the ward.

So this week, I was finally able to go to a class to learn doctrine.

Currently, I've been in a multitasking mood.
Where I do my own thing while also listening to people talk. That way I can zone in and out of my own thoughts.

But that plan.
Fell through during class.

Why?
Because the 'teacher' announced that she wanted us to separate into groups.

>.< Have I mentioned I hate groups?
I do.
Loathe them.

It's all fine when it's only briefly to introduce ourselves or share an insight with each other.
But in a church setting, group work....just doesn't work for me.
I can't feel the spirit as well. I feel that it just becomes a disjointed chattering mess of noise.

And the teacher in this class.
Had us in groups.
THE ENTIRE HOUR.
>.<
It wasn't just some "Look up the scriptures and discuss" sort of group.

No. That was just STEP ONE of a THREE step process she had us in.

Step One: Go look up this bible story and read it. Then discuss it. Then apply it in your life.
(The story was about Samuel the Lamanite)

Then Step Two: Was to take some of the examples in our lives
-which were 'ways Satan tries to deceive us' (how it applied to Samuel the Lamanite isn't so clear cut) and choose one of those principles.
Before we were supposed to split further into two groups to create campaigns that Satan would use to try and convince us that the lies Satan was telling us were true and then try to campaign against the other group.

Yah....that totally backfired.
Who wants to split from a group of 5 into a group of 2? Nobody.
That part would have worked better if the class had been split in half and then you split it into quarters.
This part would have worked better if the teacher had actually interacted with the class and given us direction. Taught. Actually talked with us.

And then after this campaigning thing we were supposed to look up some video on YouTube.
-It was of a famous experiment where people were told to zap a tester when they answered a question wrong, and every wrong answer they got they were given a stronger zap. It was to test to see how far the giver would go under what circumstances in giving this zap to the tester. (it was just an act, the tester wasn't getting zapped.)

I have no idea what Step 3 was.
We didn't make it that far in my group.

And the entire time.
I kept getting more and more annoyed.
because I had wanted to use this time to do my own thing while listening to others.
But here I was having to participate in something that I saw as pointless.
Here I was, unable to do what I wanted to do.
Here I was, in a group that definitely needed a leader.

*exhales*
And I chose not to lead. I didn't want to take on the responsibility this time around.
I enjoy leading because that means I'm in control.
But when it's forced upon me.
I don't like it at all. I'd rather choose when I want to step into the spot light thank you very much.

So I admit it, that this lesson could have gone a whole lot better if I'd been willing to let the annoyance die and actually participate and gone forward in conversation with my groupies.
Live and learn I suppose.

Still.
I found it entirely annoying.
That for the entire hour.
The teacher just sat there.
At the desk.
Doing nothing.
Not interacting.
Not participating.
She was either staring at her phone or staring about the room.
She only spoke at the beginning of class to tell us to get into groups.
And spoke at the end of class to give some sort of thought.

Honestly.
I hated it.
If it was done once in a while, sure I could accept it.
But apparently she does this every time.

>.<
If you're called to be a teacher....shouldn't YOU Teach??

*shakes head*
Needless to say, I'm going to a different class next week.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment