Saturday, September 10, 2016

Surprise Event

It's never fun when your plans get cut short.
Especially when those plans involve just laying on your bed and relaxing.

So, this morning, about two hours before I was scheduled to go into work.
-As I was scheduled a midday shift that went into the evening.-
I got a phone call.

And when I looked, I saw that it was work calling.

I knew that I wasn't late to work, since I still had like two hours before I had to go in.
So I figured that they were calling me because somebody didn't show and they wanted me to come in early.

I was basically right.

It was the Head Manager. And he started off the conversation with: "Hey Sarnic, do you know there's a Meet the Pets event today?"
"...No?"
"Oh....did you know you were in charge of it?"
O.o "No, I was never asked to be."
"Oh....well, You're in charge of it!"
"Okay...."
"So I think you need to come in a little early."
"...What time does the event start?"
"At noon."
O.o "So you want me to come in half an hour before?"
"No, there's a lot of material here, you should come in an hour early."
O.o "...Okay..."

An hour early.
An hour early meant that I basically had a half an hour before I had to get ready for work and leave. *exhales*

I honestly didn't believe I would need to be there an hour early to set up for the event.
If it was like last years meet the pet event.
It would be rather simple.
And all the 'materials' I needed to go through.... Probably wouldn't take me that long to go through since I'm a fast reader.

Turns out I was right.
It only took me like 5 minutes to read the packet of info.
Then like 20 minutes to gather all the supplies and animals to set up a table to showcase the different animals.
Which meant.
I could have come in just a half hour early.
Honestly, I probably could have come in at the time I was scheduled and set up just fine. *shakes head*

In any case.
Apparently.
Earlier in the week, when the 2nd in Command mentioned to me that there was an event happening this weekend.
I'd thought: "Oh cool, glad someone else is in charge." as I'm pretty sure that my new manager had been placed in charge of it, as I recall another manager wondering what he was going to do.

Apparently.
2nd in Command thought. That since he'd mentioned this event in my presence. That that meant that I was doing the event.
*shakes head*
Uh.....what happened to "Hey Sarnic, can you be in charge of the event this weekend?"
That's a lot clearer than "Oh, there's an event this weekend."

*shakes head*
Apparently everyone in the store is amused by it.
The fact that 2nd in Command asked without asking and assumed I got that he asked without asking that I was supposed to be in charge. *rolls eyes*
Though now the odd shift time that I'd been scheduled made sense.
As he'd scheduled me to come in 15 minutes before the event, probably to set up.

It would have been nice to know before the day off though.
In any case.

The event went off well.
*shrugs*
I have a good memory. I knew what I'd done last time. How I'd set it up.
So I did something similar this time around.

It ended up not being a big deal.

Well....besides a woman dropping one of the Bearded Dragons on the floor because she freaked out when it twitched. *hangs head* Ugh... One split second of distraction. Thankfully the bearded dragon is fine. They can handle a bit of a fall. Still rather irritated that the woman just dropped it though. >.<

But yah. I spent 4 hours standing at a table. Talking to customers and letting them handle the pets.

Just like last year.

Thankfully, it's over.
I probably don't have to do it again for a year.
But I'm expecting to totally have to deal with conversation regarding the event when I come back into work on Monday. Guess we'll see how that turns out.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment