Saturday, February 4, 2017

MultiTasking Skills

There are many things that we take for granted.
Only realizing how amazing something is when someone else points it out.

For example, today at work.
Things were rather busy.

Mostly because once again, my department got put in charge of an event.
Which meant that we were one coworker short because they had to stand by a table the entire time and tell customers passing by about things.
Today's thing was Glo-Fish.

It wouldn't have been much of a problem.
Only, another coworker had an emergency. So didn't show up.
Which meant....
I was the only one really in the department.

On a busy Saturday.

I had a couple other coworkers there who were trained in my department, but as they were scheduled as Cashiers....and on Saturdays we often have 4 registers open all at once....
They could only back me up on occasion.

So on a busy Saturday...
I spent basically 4 straight hours helping customer after customer after customer.
Sometimes multitasking customers helping them at the same time as best as I could.

It was at one of these times that a customer commented on it.
My multitasking.

As I was bagging up her fish, while also talking on the phone with anther customer who was asking me questions about the cats we had in the store.

Basically doing two tasks at once.

I hadn't thought anything of it.
I was just trying to get to as many customers as quickly as I could.
And thankfully, answering the phone call didn't cause more problems as I was able to answer the questions there without having to breakaway from the customer I was helping in the store.

But as I hung up.

The customer was like.
()_() Whoa!! That's amazing! You multitask so well!!

O.o Thanks? I hadn't thought it was that impressive....

But to this customer it was. lol.

She was like "You will be such a great mother! Are you married?"
"Uhh...no?"
"Oh, well when you have kids, you're going to be such a great mother because you're sooo good at multitasking."

^-^ Awwww
lol Well isn't that sweet lol.

It's still kinda mind boggling though....That what I thought the simple task of placing fish in a bag and talking on the phone at the same time was considered amazing to this customer. *shrugs* Perhaps it was because I was able to concentrate on those two tasks while there was chaos happening around me? lol After all, it wasn't like it was quiet in the store. We had dogs barking, the fish system noisily chugging along behind me, customers milling about chit-chatting as they waited their turn or were being helped by coworkers, and of course, overhead announcements.
So perhaps it was my focus on not getting distracted that made it impressive?

*shrugs* Who knows.
I definitely don't.
I mean, it's something I do constantly at work.
And do constantly elsewhere.
I mean, even now, I'm multitasking. Writing this blog, watching a show, and talking to friends.

lol though I can't help but think that some of this 'skill' I have comes a bit from the years I spent in school studying to become an interpreter. Because there, especially with Sign Language, you have to multitask. Listen to what a person is saying while translating it into another language and spouting it out at the same time. Definitely not an easy task.

So perhaps that skill I gained or refined at school, has come in handy at work when it comes to helping multiple customers at the same time. lol. :)

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment