Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Zapped

Okay, so electrifying oneself is never a fun experience.
Trust me. I know.

I've had a few zaps here and there at work.
After all, water and light/electricity don't often mix.

Especially with our finicky canister filter.

*exhales*
So this morning I came into work to a note for us to clean out the canister filter.
As it wasn't flowing as well as it should be.
Which probably means it needs to be cleaned out. Again. Some more.

This time though, my coworker wanted to change out the filter.
I'd shown her how to do it a couple of times,
So she knew the basics.

In any case.
I was busy with something else.
When she called me over.
Asking how to unhook the canister filter from the tank.

The first thing I asked if she had turned off the filter.

Which she had unplugged it.

So I figured everything was okay.
Showed her how to unhook the canister.

And then it was no longer okay.
Because water started streaming out of the filter.
Not. Good.

Because the rest of the fish tank was still on. Lights and such.
So automatically I reached out to said power strip to turn it off.

Unfortunately...
Water had already reached the strip.
So when I went to turn it off.
I got zapped.

Ugh. It's not a fun feeling.
Because your muscles get forcibly contracted all at once.

Thankfully it was only for like two seconds at the most before I pulled back.

And we figured out quickly why the water was still flowing.
I always make the mistake of forgetting about the water build up within the hoses and canister.
Just because the filter is off...doesn't mean the water hasn't stopped flowing in the tubes. A suction/vacuum has been created and giving it an opening -like opening the canister filter--makes the vacuum/suction continue.
So to prevent from happening you have to close the openings to the hoses First, and THEN open up the canister filter.

*shakes head*
In the end though,
We got it all sorted, water running, the water on the floor cleaned up.
And me....with a wet sock...
And tingling fingers. lol.

Well, at least my pointer finger was tingling. *shakes head*
Thankfully, being zapped isn't that bad pain wise.
Bad tensing wise for sure.
But it's hardly worse than a light tingling of the fingers when your arm falls asleep.

In any case.
Hopefully....
I won't do it again.
Because it's not a fun experience at all.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment