Thursday, February 16, 2017

To Help or To Be Late

Brothers and sisters, remember that this charge I more than just not doing bad things.
With an engaged enemy we must also act and not sit in "thoughtless stupor."
Taking upon the countenance of God means serving each other.
There are sins of commission and sins of omission, and we are to rise above both.

While serving as a mission president in Africa, I was forever taught this great truth.
I was on my way to a meeting when I saw a young boy alone, crying hysterically on the side of the road.
A voice within me said, "Stop and help that boy."
As quick as I heard this voice in a split second, I rationalized: "You can't stop.
You will be late.
You're the presiding officer and can't walk in late."

When I arrived at the meetinghouse, I heard the same voice say again: "Go help that boy."
I then gave my car keys to a Church member named Afasi and asked him to bring the boy to me.
About 20 minutes later, I felt a tap on my shoulder.
The young boy was outside.

He was about 10 years of age.
We found out his father was dead and his mother was in jail.
He lived in the slums of Accra with a caretaker, who gave him food and a place to sleep.
To earn his board, he sold dried fish on the streets.
But after this day of hawking, when he reached in his pocket, he found a hole in it.
He had lost all his earnings.
Afasi and I knew immediately that if he returned without the money, he would be called a liar, most likely beaten, and then cast out onto the street.
It was in that moment of alarm when I first saw him.
We calmed his fears, replaced his loss, and took him back home to his caretaker.

As I went home that evening, I realized two great truths.
First, I knew as never before that God is mindful of each of us and will never forsake us; and second, I knew that we must always hearken to the voice of the Spirit within us and go "straightway" wherever it takes us, regardless of our fears or any inconvenience."

-Robert C. Gay -What Shall a Man Give in Exchange for His Soul? -October 2012 General Conference

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment