Sunday, August 13, 2017

A Crawly Friend

So semi-recently. In that I've only started joining in on it. 
The roomies and I have taken to walking around the block when we're all home.
Official reason would probably be to 'get some exercise.' 
lol which I don't really quite need because I spend all day on my feet anyways for work. 
But really.
We do it to go catch pokemon. lol. Exercise and play a game at the same time!

In any case.
This evening Kikay and I went a wandering around to work out some restless energy and tension that we were both experiencing. 

So we took our phones and went to wander our regular loop. 

And as we were hitting about the midway point of our walkabout. 
Kikay noticed something crawling in the road.
And pointed it out to me.

What was this thing?

It was:














A tarantula!! 
Dun dun dun.













Here's a size comparison so you can see how big he was. ^^

In any case.
He was walking in the road.
Where he could have easily been squashed by a car driving by.

So Kikay and I took it upon ourselves to ensure that the tarantula got out of the road safely.

We tried to move him backwards to the grass closest to us.
But he was very determined to cross the road.

And after glancing back to the freshly mown lawn, and then to the green wild bushes across the way....
I decided it would probably be best to move him to the bushes where he could easily disappear into and be less likely to get stepped on....as lawn grass doesn't offer much cover...and there were kids wandering around the neighborhood as well.

So slowly but determinedly, we got him to cross the road.
With Kikay allowing him to climb onto her shoe (she took her foot out of it first) and dragged the shoe with the spider on it across the way until he'd climb off. Then I'd use a piece of paper to scoot him forward until we would try the shoe again, switching back and forth.
Until finally we got him over the curb, across the sidewalk, and into the bushes that would provide him with some cover. ^^

lol. We had a half a dozen people stop to ask what we were doing and then proceed to snap pictures and ewwww and oooohhh over it when they realized we were helping a tarantula to cross the street.

lol. Some commented that we were braver than they would have been.
Others were probably thinking "why aren't you squishing him?"

And it's simple....
Tarantulas are good for the bug population as they enjoy eating crickets, and there are plenty in the fields nearby lol. 

Besides, having dealt with tarantulas at work before, I had a good idea of how to get him to move and get him to safety.
(No I did not pick him up I'm not crazy) 

But yah.
I'm glad we were able to get the tarantula out of the 'danger' zone, so that he could live. 

Definitely a fun discovery for me. ^^

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment