Saturday, August 12, 2017

Saturday Drudgery

I feel like I really should be used to it now.
I mean the year is over halfway over.
Yet....

Saturday work still leaves me super drained afterwards. 
*exhales*

You see...I've been working Saturdays for basically like...two years now or so? Because the managers got it into their heads that the 'best person in the dept' (me) should work on the 'busiest day' of the week. (Sat) 
So since that realization...I've switched from a M-F schedule to a M-Th & Sa schedule.

Which at times can get rather....tedious....
I mean, I only get a weekend off if I request it now.
*exhales* It would make so much more sense to give me at least one Saturday off a month....everyone deserves a weekend right? Right. 
Not this "day off Friday" "work Saturday" "day off sunday" sort of affair. 

In any case.
Saturday has been for the most part tolerable when it comes to work...
Because I used to work the morning shift.
Which meant I still had half of my Saturday left to go do things and hang with friends or you know....relax in my room....

But in the beginning of the year...
The managers decided that while it was great that I was working Saturdays....
They really weren't...using me to my fullest potential....I guess is a good way to put it.

They wanted to have the 'best people' working not only on the busiest day of the week, but at the busiest time of the week.

Which means. XP Evening shift.
Where I start work around lunch time, and don't leave until the store basically is closed. 

Which is so.....so very draining. 

I mean, who ever wants to waste their entire Saturday at work? 
I can't really do anything before work, can't really do anything after work.
The entire day is basically wasted....at work.

And said work is frankly, exhausting.

I don't have much of a social battery to begin with.
Which is why I prefer morning shifts so I can work without having to talk to people.

But Saturdays? Evenings?
It's basically eight straight hours of socialization. 

And that is super super super draining to me.
I basically come home from work and can't think straight because I'm sooo exhausted.
Having to wander around the store, helping customers, talking to people, constantly....

It kills me really.
To the point where it's probably the day where I head to bed the earliest.
Because I'm just sooooo tired....even my nightowl tendencies have clocked out. 

*exhales* 

Of course....
Today was kinda my fault in draining my social battery.
Because originally I was scheduled a morning shift (yay) 
But due to some scheduling issues....one of my coworkers couldn't work the evening shift.
And basically the only way they found to get around it...
Was to ask me to take an evening shift, while my manager jumped in to cover my morning shift....

I could have refused....but I didn't.
I like helping out, and it's not often I get asked to help out with work stuff....so I help out where I can....

Though overall the entire day seemed to be miserable.
We only had 3 people scheduled in the store until lunch time. (one cashier, one pet care, one manager) 
And it was one of those Saturdays where everyone and their mom wanted to come in.
The morning apparently was crazy, with the registers needing third cashiers...and not getting it because there were only 3 people in the store.
It also didn't help that we had another one of those stupid "meet the pets" events that they never schedule us hours for. So we had one person stuck standing at a table to let customers 'meet the animals' while the rest of us were running around with our heads cut off. 
Overall it was a day where we were really short staffed considering everything. Usually we have like 6-8 workers in the store on Saturdays. 
And today we hovered around 4 or 5 people.
Not enough for how many customers were in the store.

*shakes head*
So yah...
Saturday evening shifts continue to be the bane of my existence.

And I'm hoping really super hoping that things will change soon, so that I don't have to be so drained when I get off of my last shift of the week.

*fingers crossed*

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment