Saturday, August 26, 2017

Memory Impressions

There are times where I get thrown for a loop.
Where someone asks me a question and I answer it and then doubt myself and then wonder....what is the actual answer?

That happened today at work.

You see....
We have this new program, where our new 'nationwide' goal really is to establish a more 'real connection' with customers. Get to know them and their pets and help them find solutions to their problems or find products that they need. etc. 

The slight problem with this program....
Is that there's a reward system attached to it. Where if you have a good exchange with a customer and a manager sees...you get a sticker. And when you get enough stickers, you get a pin and when you get enough pins...well...I have no idea what you get after that...but yah... it's quite the reward system.

The flaw? 
The manager has to see you doing it. 
Which....my department doesn't really see the managers that often...not unless something goes wrong. So it's not like they're near at all whenever we have conversations. 
It's just luck of the draw really if you happen to have a good conversation near a manager who realizes that you're having a good conversation with the customer and that you deserve a sticker.

Soooo I haven't really been putting much stock into it. I've just been having conversations lol. 

But one of my managers noticed this.

Noticed that the people who work full time....weren't getting as many stickers as the people who were working part time.

Which didn't seem right. I mean...the full timers are there much longer than the half timers...like double the time...so why did they have less stickers?

So he took it upon himself, to have us come tell him when we fulfilled the requirements to get a sticker. 
-Engage with the customer, ask questions that don't involve yes or no answers, get to know the pet parent or their pet, leave them with your name so they can find you. etc. 

That way, we could tell him that we deserved a sticker.
Instead of hoping that a manager happened to be nearby paying attention when the good customer experience happened. 

Which too is a bit awkward lol. Since it seems a bit like bragging.
But I was gratified for it, because I then felt I was actually being a great employee. 

In any case.
That was a bit of back story lol.

The main point.
Was what happened the second time I went to this manager to tell him about a good customer experience I had had so I could get another sticker.
(I earned 3, and called it good for the day because I didn't want to have to keep finding him.) 


And so I was like :I deserve another sticker!"
And the manager asked me: "Okay, what happened for you to deserve the sticker?" 

So I started into my story: 
"So, I encountered a woman in the cat cans looking at the food, so I asked her what I could help her find? And she was like "I'm looking for a wet cat food for my cat because we need to give him medicine and I wanted to mix it into the wet food."
To which I was like: "Ah, that makes sense, though the cat may just eat around the pill, my dog did that all the time." but I continued to try and figure out what sort of food she needed, as she usually buys just dry cat food and wasn't sure what wet cat food she'd like, so I asked her what flavor of cat food she fed her cat, and she said "Costco flavored" and so I figured that probably meant chicken since it's the most common, so I showed her a couple of cans in the friskies that were chicken flavored as well as the fish flavored ones for her to try a slightly different taste to see if that would help her cat, and then she was like "my cat also has flea issues can you show me where the flea stuff is?" to which I did and I learned that she has an outdoor cat named Ozzy and he's like 7, and she has an indoor cat named Miss Kitty who's like 16 years old and just likes to lay there, while Ozzy is an outdoor cat and she's impressed that he's still alive as they moved to a new part of town and were worried that he'd be eaten by the coyotes. But he ended up with fleas, and so I showed her a couple of products, established that she'd want to treat both cats, and the house and then the yard to make sure the fleas wouldn't return, and I shared with the customer some pictures of my own cats......

etc....

lol I think it was about halfway through that whole spiel where my manager was like. 
()_() 
Do you have an eidetic (photographic) memory or something? 

To which I was like "YAH!....I mean... No...I mean...." :S 
lol 
And he was like "I was just wondering because you sure do remember a lot of details!" 
To which I was like "Of course...." I was making an effort to do so, so I could tell you the manager about my customer experience so that I could earn myself another sticker.

So that was my "thrown for a loop" moment today.

Because....I don't think I have an eidetic memory.
I mean, I can remember things and sometimes it's random things.
But it's not like I remember what I said to every single customer in what order and when of that day. 

But I have noticed that I seem to remember more than other people....like I'll remember details and conversations that other people have forgotten about.
But I never really considered it an Eidetic memory.
If anything I may have it partially? 
*shrugs* Who knows for sure.

I just found it...odd....when I got asked that question.
Because my first thought was "Doesn't everyone?" 
Like...doesn't everyone remember this? Why would they not remember those details? 
But that's just it. The details. My manager mentioned that the others don't go into as much detail. 

So....weird.... 
Soo...thrown for a loop.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment