Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A Moment to Behold

So this past weekend I traveled up North.
To Jackson, Wyoming.

For the same reason half the country ended up traveling this past weekend. lol.
To see the Eclipse. 

And honestly.
I wasn't thinking too much about the Eclipse.
Like it wasn't a "I MUST GO SEE THIS NOW!" sort of thing.
I'd actually planned on not going at first really.

But then work was getting a bit crazy.
In the "I really need a break away from it all" sort of fashion.
Which happened to hit about the time that most of my family was planning to head north to see the Eclipse.
So I figured I would take a few days off,
Drive up to Wyoming with the fam.
And enjoy the weekend away from the stresses of my job and watch this eclipse when it happens.

I didn't think it was going to be that big of a deal really.
Because I'd been to an eclipse before.
A handful of years ago.
A couple of hours south of my home. 

It was known as the "Ring of Fire"
Where the moon causes the sun to just show as a ring of light around the shadow of the moon.

I'd been told that this particular eclipse would be different from that.
But that was what was in my head when I went to Wyoming with the family.

An eclipse.
That you could only really see when you had the special glasses on.
Where the sun would fade slightly, and it would get a degree or so cooler.

But it would still feel like day.

Well....
This was way different.

The first thing I noticed was the drop in temperature as the sun began to be covered by the moon.
By the time the moon hit totality around the sun, it felt like the temperature had dropped twenty degrees or so. 
Then there was the quiet.
Everything just kinda went still. No birds were singing. All other noises seemed muted.
And then.
There was the darkness. It got down to dusk darkness when the moon fully covered the sun

It was crazy.
Within the space of 15 seconds. The sun went from being bright....to being totally covered.

And I could look up for 2 minutes.
And stare straight at the sun.
As the moon was this perfect black circle, leaving only a tiny ring of light -the corona? -of the sun visible.

It was amazing.
It was breathtaking

It was definitely something to behold.

Ah.
It was totally worth it to travel to go see this eclipse!
To deal with the crazy energies of all the people traveling all over.
It was simply.
Amazing. 
Astounding.

I wish I could see these eclipses more often.
Because...wow. 
Just.
Wow.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment