Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Seriously? Nothing?

I've always been a doer. 
Especially at work. 
I would rather be doing something than just standing around watching the time tick by slowly.

I mean, I do have those lazy moments, where I really want to do nothing at work. Usually happens towards the end of my shift and happens for various reasons.
But most of the time I'm looking for something to do in between customers.
I don't usually just stand there waiting for customers to show up.

But some of my other coworkers....would definitely rather be doing nothing than something. 
They like to just wander around, looking at things, occasionally helping customers...
But not really doing anything.

Which. Is fine I guess when there's nothing to do.
But when there's stuff that needs to get done....
I find it kind of irritating. 

Today was one of those more irritating days.

Because I was opening with a coworker, who prefers to wander around instead of doing things. 
Which if it's an evening shift, sure, fine.
But morning shift? There's a lot that needs to get done.

And I would catch this coworker wandering the store constantly.
It's like they'd complete a task, go take a lap or two of the store, go do another task, and then go take another lap. 
Which...is a great plan to ensure that customers are getting helped and such, so I see the methodology in it. Get stuff done while also meeting customer's needs. 

But it's like this coworker didn't comprehend the "go and do" part...

Like I would say: "Hey, this needs to be done." 
and they would go "Okay" and then go do something completely different.

Which *eye twitch* I wasn't telling the coworker that stuff still needs to be done just to tell them.
I was telling them so that they would go 'Oh, hey this needs to be done, let me go do that."
Because why else would I tell you what else needs to be done unless I'm giving you something to do while I finish the tasks that I'm on. I'm not just telling you things for fun.

It was even more irritating when I came back from my lunch break and my coworker was surprised that I'd returned already and that "time sure flies when you're doing nothing." 

O.o Doing nothing?
Honestly...doing nothing should mean time should go slower right? right.
But they thought it went faster.
Whatever.
I was like. "Well...there are totes that need to be done, crickets that need to be bagged, ornaments that need to be put away...."
There were at least four things this coworker could have been doing while I was gone in the 30 minute period.
And instead they chose to do nothing. They wandered the store, looked at products, maybe helped customers....
But didn't 'do anything.' 

*exhales*
I guess on the bright side, it meant that I had more to do so I wasn't needing to actively look for more things to do once I finished opening to kill time.

....I just kinda wish people would take their own initiative. Look. See what still needs to be done...and then go do it, instead of waiting for someone to tell them to go and do something. 

Guess I'm just weird like that....needing something to do. 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi


No comments:

Post a Comment