Monday, January 13, 2020

Moving Fish

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but one of my favorite things about work is when I have the opportunity to play ring-around-the-rosie with the fish on our fish wall. 

It doesn't happen that often, like maybe twice year.
And the past couple of years these rearrangements haven't required a lot of effort because the designers of the fish on the fish wall got smart and realized people can find the fish they want easier if they're all located in the same area. So the tetras will all be in one section, the platys in another, the mollies in another, etc. 

Today wasn't one of those twice a year adjustments though.

No.
It was more of a spur of the moment thing. 

Where recently we've added in two more live plants that we sell that need to be placed into an actual aquarium with water --as we also get some that are prepackaged and don't require water until after they are taken out of their package.

But with the addition of two more live plant varieties....our single tank was getting quite overcrowded as we could get up to like a dozen or so of each plant and there's like six different plants in a 10 gallon sized tank.

So yah.
It was getting crowded and a couple of the plants look so similar to each other that the would often get mixed up. 

So the other day I talked it over with my head manager and asked if it would be okay if we created a second plant tank so that we could divide the plants out more so they wouldn't be as overcrowded.

The manager liked this idea. 

And like...my original concept was rather simple.
In that we just take the tank next to the plant tank and move the fish out of that one and so have the two plant tanks together.

But the head manager had a different idea.
Where they wanted the two plant tanks placed over by our Turtle Tanks, Snail Tank, and Crab tanks.
As in that location they would also be closer to the prepackaged plants we carry and it would be easier for customers to see all we have in the same area.

However.
This meant moving and adjusting two tanks that have fish in them.
Instead of one.

So once my opening tasks were done.
I set to work and moved about a dozen different tanks of fish around.

Since the fish are organized basically by section, I was doing my best to try and keep the sections together.
So it took a bit of creativity there to move fish around so that they were still in their sections but not out of place on the fish wall and yah....

I managed it in the end! Ha!

It was actually a lot of fun. ^^;; I enjoy those types of puzzles where you try to organize things so they go back together.

And I think the new plant tanks look really nice too!
So woot!
Win win!

Hopefully my coworkers and the customers don't get too confused by some of the fish moving around. ^^;; 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment