Thursday, October 6, 2011

Time Blessings

This past week, has been rather stressful....
I think I've said this before...like every post...
but its true.
For I had a test.
A philosophy test.
Which wouldn't be that bad....
except it was an essay test.
XP As much as I love to write...I really dislike writing essays.
Its not that I'm bad at them,
I actually do pretty well....even if I feel its crap, I still get good grades.
No...what I dread about Essay tests...
Is the start.
I have a hard time figuring out how to "Introduce" my essays.
Sometimes I'll just sit there for like an hour before I finally write an intro.


So I really wasn't looking forward to this test.
Especially because it halfway snuck out of nowhere.
Monday...I looked online...and saw that our Philosophy test started...Tuesday...and it would go until Thursday.
I definitely couldn't take the test on Tuesday, since it was Monday night...and I have classes from 10am-5:15pm.
So I planned to study Tuesday and then for an hour or two on Wednesday. Because I have nothing after 1pm...
except I did. I had two meetings both for Publicity.
One at 4pm with the Teacher Advisor
One at  5:30pm with the committee.
And I knew that It would probably take me 2 hours to take the test.
So class ends at 1....meeting at 4. That would mean if I wanted to take the test before 4...I would only be able to study for an hour.
But, I decided that I could skip the Teacher Advisor meeting and that would let me study til 2 or 3...then I could come back and meet with the committee at 530...
But plans didn't work out.
At 1pm...I went to the school bookstore to get a 'green book' for my written exam -lined paper in a booklet that I can write on. And I smelt Subway....oh it smelt good...it tasted good in my mind...I really wanted "real food" because in school I've been living off crackers and nuts...and...basically non sandwich stuff. But there was a line....however upon returning to the institute I ran into Kikay..and she basically said GO GET SUBWAY!! So I did. I got a foot long and split it with her. It was delicious!!
By then it was almost two pm. I figured no big...I wasn't going to go to the meeting at 4. I could study.
But it seemed like the world was working against me yesterday.
For....I had downloaded some PowerPoint's the teacher used so I could go over them easier, without trying to read my notes (which weren't written in the best handwriting half of the time)...but when I went to open them on my laptop in the institute (I have a quiet corner there where I study for most of my tests.) I couldn't find them anywhere...apparently I saved them in a temporary drive somewhere...and they disappeared.
I figured no big deal right? I would just go to the office, get the Institute password and log into the Internet and get the PowerPoint's....
Yah! Only one problem....the Internet went down. So no access :(
So I dithered for a moment, I didn't want to just use my notes because I knew the teacher had skipped over a few slides and I wanted to see what they said, and they might have important details that I would need for this big and scary and unknown written test.
What did I do?
I took the car, drove home, downloaded the PowerPoint's...made sure I saved them in the right place then went back to the institute, got in my spot and went to study!
I went through the 8 presentations once....and my notes once...then decided I would rest my eyes for a minute...I put on some music to distract my mind telling myself I would listen to three songs...and twenty minutes I woke up. By this point it was 3:30....and I was like...well I guess I'll go to my 4pm meeting. Soo I went through the slides and notes again real quick.
Went to the meeting.
Tried to study in the half hour between meetings.
Did the other meeting.
And an hour later....basically decided that I was screwed lol.
Why then...did I not say "lets just take it Thursday. you still have one more day!"
Well...the testing center has a policy (voted on by students/student government...idk before I went to college) that the last day of a test...you have to pay $3 in order to take the test.
So if the test was three days long. the first two days would be free, the last day would cost you.
Before this point I've only had to pay $3 once...last semester for an anatomy quiz...because...I think I wasn't feeling well or something...stress factored into it.
Sooo while I was studying between the meetings...I was going over the pros and cons in my mind.
I totally wasn't ready to take the test Wednesday. I couldn't remember the terms two minutes after I'd studied them...I felt...like I would miss the point because I didn't know each philosophers arguments well enough. Plus...I was just tired and I had homework due today that needed to be done as well.
So with a heavy heart...because I hadn't wanted to pay the $3...I decided that I would take the test Thursday afternoon. -after my last class at 5:15.
lol I called my mom to vent my frustration and look for comfort that I was making the right choice to push back the test another day...and after that reassurance...I walked home...plotting.
I needed to change something so that I would get everything done in time.

I came home, and grabbed my criminal justice book and opened it up, without turning on the laptop.
-usually I turn on my computer first...but yesterday I decided I would do my homework first for once, then do my blog. My goal was to do my blog at 11pm after I finished all my homework.
So I read my chapter in Criminal Justice. -I mentioned the laptop because each chapter is divided in half over two days so I would only need to read half the chapter. But that would involve turning on the laptop to go see how many pages I would need to read....so I just decided to read the whole chapter and avoid getting distracted by Internet stuff. An hour later...because I read and multitasked by making dinner. I finished my chapter...and turned on the computer to input that I had read the reading on the class website.
While I was waiting for my computer to boot up...I decided to 'take a break' and do something else. That something else was laundry. Then I inputted reading information, I did an ASL critique, and then read philosophy homework and wrote a paper that was due tomorrow.
I got it all done....about 11:06pm. :) I could have been done sooner...but Kikay came home and we had a nice chat to help calm our stressed lives. lol.
Basically I did my blog....and went to bed at midnight.
I had been planning to be done by like 10 and study philosophy til midnight....didn't happen. I bagged studying since I was tired and went to bed instead of staying up another hour or two.
Instead I got up an hour or so earlier then normal and went over my notes and skimmed through the book and wrote down some more notes before going to school.
Periodically throughout the day I would glance at my notes...
while stressing over other things.
I found out that the test was supposed to be done by 1pm..when my philosophy class starts...
but I hadn't been planning to take it til 5:30!!
But the guy I was talking to, said that the teacher had extended the test til Friday and that if I talked to the teacher and let her know I was planning to take the test.
So that's what I did.

But here comes the important part. The Blessing of Time.
For if it was true that the test was extended til Friday....which it was true....
That meant...I may not need to pay to take the test!
I couldn't remember for sure. i knew that 3 days one day would cost. 5 days...i think the last 2 days cost...but 4 days it could have gone either way...but I was thinking that only Friday would cost..
and I was right!
I was totally blessed.
Because I didn't need to pay $3 to take the test! ^^ That made me really happy.
Also, the guy who told me that the test was extended til Friday...also said that if I knew the terms, and knew the basic arguments..then I would be good to go take the test. He said that it wasn't that bad.
but he's the Philosophy club president, so I took that information with a pinch of salt lol :)
But it was the confidence he had, that I was ready to take the test, that was a real boost to me.
It too was a blessing, because it gave me the impression that studying more wouldn't help me. I either knew it or I didn't. So I went through my notes one last time, then waited somewhat impatiently for another two classes to get done with before going to take that test.

And I finished it ^^ in two hours. I didn't struggle to start most of the essays...that didn't mean I started writing right away, I would sit and consider what I wanted to say, then I would say it. :)
And walla!
I'm done with my test! Finally! ^^ lol.
I'm so grateful that I had the time to take the test, that I wasn't stressed, that it didn't cost me money, and for the vote of confidence the philosophy club president had for me.
In the end.
It was a good day. ^^
I'm just really happy that my decision to delay the test another day, actually worked out for me, and I had very little problems pop up today ^^ for which I am glad.
I'm grateful that the teacher decided to extend the test for whatever reason she did, that she was inspired to extend it so that I would not have to pay for that was a high concern that I decided to sacrifice in order to take the test...
yah it was just a day of blessings ^^  

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment