Thursday, August 9, 2012

Cheaters Never Prosper For Long

You may have heard, if you're watching the Olympics about people being disqualified for various reasons, usually involved in trying to cheat in some way to make themselves better. As I was reading a conference talk, I came across this story:
For some, there will come the temptation to dishonor a personal standard of honesty.
In a business law class at the university I attended, I remember that one particular classmate never prepared for the class discussions.
I thought to myself, "How is he going to pass the final examination?"
I discovered the answer when he came to the classroom for the final examination, on a winter's day, wearing on his bare feet only a pair of sandals.
I was surprised and watched him as the class began.
All of his books had been placed upon the floor.
He slipped the sandals from his feet; and then, with toes that he had trained and had prepared with glycerine, he skillfully turned the pages of one of the books which he had placed on the floor, thereby viewing the answers to the examination questions.

He received one of the highest grades in that course on business law.
But the day of reckoning came.
Later, as he prepared to take his comprehensive examination, for the first time the dean of his particular discipline said, "This year I shall depart from tradition and shall conduct an oral, rather than a written, test."
Our favorite, trained-toe expert found that he had his foot in his mouth on that occasion and failed the examination.

Thomas S. Monson -That We May Touch Heaven -October 1990 General Conference
So while cheaters never prosper for long,
There are those who do not cheat and win. :)
Congrats Olympic Medalists!
Gold: United States, China, Russia, Great Britain, Germany, Japan, France, Australia, South Korea, Italy, Netherlands, Canada, Hungary, Spain, Brazil, Belarus, New Zealand, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Iran, Jamaica, Romania, Denmark, Poland, Cuba, Czech Republic, Kenya, Sweden, North Korea, South Africa, Croatia, Ethiopia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Georgia, Norway, Dominican Republic, Ireland, Lithuania, Turkey, Algeria, Grenada, Venezuela

Sliver: United States, China, Russia, Great Britain, Germany, Japan, France, Australia, South Korea, Italy, Netherlands, Canada, Hungary, Spain, Brazil, Belarus, New Zealand, Ukraine, Iran, Jamaica, Romania, Denmark, Poland, Cuba, Czech Republic, Kenya, Sweden, Colombia, South Africa, Mexico, Azerbaijan, Croatia, Slovenia, India, Slovakia, Switzerland, Georgia, Norway, Armenia, Belgium, Mongolia, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), Estonia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Serbia, Thailand, Tunisia, Botswana, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Finland, Guatemala, Portugal

Bronze: United States, China, Russia, Great Britain, Germany, Japan, France, Australia, South Korea, Italy, Netherlands, Canada, Hungary, Spain, Brazil, Belarus, New Zealand, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Iran, Jamaica, Romania, Denmark, Poland, Cuba, Czech Republic, Kenya, Sweden, Colombia, North Korea, South Africa, Mexico, Azerbaijan, Croatia, Ethiopia, Slovenia, India, Slovakia, Georgia, Norway, Armenia, Belgium, Mongolia, Ireland, Lithuania, Turkey, Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), Estonia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Serbia, Thailand, Tunisia, Greece, Moldova, Qatar, Singapore, Afghanistan, Argentina, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Latvia, Morocco, Puerto Rico, Saudi Arabia, Tajikistan, Trinidad & Tobago, Uzbekistan

May the competition be just as fierce tomorrow! :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

I was in a dark room, kinda like a bar area, and I was sitting next to the bar, where the guy from Man v. Food was sitting though his name was Shane. He was eating a sandwich like a subway sandwich with alot of meatballs and red sauce. Nearby his cousin Mandie had just gotten engaged when Shane noticed that there was something on his pinky finger. It was a diamond ring. All silver and shiny for having come out of his sandwich where it had been hiding. Then a girl that I had seen before, but never in this company came out and stood behind the bar with Shane. She had brownred hair pulled back in a ponytail and had a sort of animegeek vibe going on. She told Shane that she couldn't wait anymore and she got down on one knee with the ring in her hand and asked Shane to marry her. Shane said yes. Took the ring, and then got down on one knee and asked her in return if she would marry him. I just stared on in disbelief. Why would he do that? I don't recall them ever really talking to each other and I think they were related in some way as well...distant cousins...I just felt like I had missed my chance at the guy...I left ending up on the edge of a dance floor in some competition where people were talking about three different incidents...which had all involved me (I can't remember them) even though they thought it was three different people. As I was a type of trouble maker now because I was so furious at what had happened a couple of years ago. I ended up outside. Where I met up with my neighbor Shane. He was talking about getting together at some point and going fishing down the river. I told him that I didn't have any fishing poles they were still up at  my parents house, but if he could bring them down with him the next time he came down I would love to go fishing with him. He agreed and went to leave, but he was caught up in a bunch of different stickers on roles. We unwound him, but he was still stuck in the stickers. We followed the trail and discovered that the President -Obama- was walking by himself on my neighborhood street but it was also a sort of building hallway as well. I hung back in my dark cloak as Shane approached the president (there were security guards around but they were way back, both men and women -I didn't think they were doing that great of a job personally) and tapped him on the shoulder. They had a conversation and Shane finally got himself unstuck to the stickers and the president and left. The president continued on his way, when suddenly he was attacked...by a unicorn. But it wasn't just any type of unicorn. This creature had a woman's head with long flowing hair, and she was out to kill the President. Obama let out a yell and grabbed at a sword trying to fight this creature, Shane saw the struggled and as well took up a sword to defend the president as all his security people thought the guy had gone mad. -They couldn't see the unicorn -only certain people could. But they were game to try and 'help' Obama defeat the 'demon' even though they couldn't see it. Over by the vending machines was my sister Kikay/me. I had been doing vandalism on the glass, Kikay had drawn two swords that were glowing white, she picked up a third, a fencing sword -an epee- and went to stab at the unicorn creature. But as the end of the sword just as a button on it, the sword didn't do much damage, but I was willing to help out the president so the three of us circled the beast as the security people also figured out that there was 'something' there they couldn't see as they could feel something there. One girl got up onto the unicorn's back and was reaching to grab onto the mane/head, only she didn't realize that it was a woman's head instead of the horse head she was expecting so she was reaching in the wrong place....

When the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again. :)

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment