Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Spiral Jetty Thoughts of Life

There I was, walking out into the Great Salt Lake.


My quest, to reach the center.
The center of the Spiral Jetty.
Some years its easier then others.
This year, was not an easy year.
As the water has come back up over the jetty
so only the edges of the spiral are visible.


I didn't think it would be that difficult to walk out.
I mean the path is marked and the jetty is made out of rocks.
Oh no. It was hard.
As you see...the rocks aren't all the same size.
And many of them were loose.
So as you stepped on them they would shift under your weight threatening to toss you into the water.
-Which wasn't more then knee deep -but I had my ipod in my pocket for pictures and I really didn't want to get that wet. So I was very worried about falling in.
The other problem about walking out...was the color of the lake.
It was pink.
I tried to take a picture of it to show you guys (picture above)
But sadly due to the hazy clouds in the sky, the lighting wasn't the best.
But think of roses that are pink, and that was how pink the water was.
-It wasn't from the brine shrimp, but from the pink colored algae that grows on this side of the lake.
This pink haze besides the rocks were cause for trial in the quest out to the lake.
As the murky pinkness hid the rocks from view if the rocks were like three inches below the surface.
So as I was walking along I had to constantly feel for rocks I couldn't see that could possibly be loose threatening to make me fall into the water where my ipod would get wet and ruined.
And some parts of the spiral had less rocks then others where sand had come upon the jetty as well.
It was possible to walk in ankle deep water and then suddenly be down to your knees two steps later because of the rocky/sandy inconsistency.

All in all. It wasn't that bad of a walk out. I got a couple of stubbed toes. But it wouldn't have been such a hassle....except I was trying to keep my jeans from getting wet. I had only brought one pair of jeans home with me as I was only staying for a couple of days. And I was wearing them...so I didn't want them to get salt encrusted as I needed to wear them the next day.
I did pretty well, walking really slowly and carefully.
I had had almost made it to the center of the spiral when they actually got wet. >.< booo all that effort and my jeans got salty anyway.
Still I made it to the center!

*angelic chorus*





And almost immediately....almost fell over, as my footing slipped on one of the rocks.
Luckily Daddoo was there to rescue me (and my ipod)
But I got this nice gift in exchange.



lol....that wasn't a fun walk back through the salt water to land.
I know salt water is great for cleansing wounds.
But it sure stings like a really bad sunburn!
My leg felt like it was burning the rest of the night. (slight exaggeration)
But you can see how pink and irritated the skin around the cuts is in the picture above.
My leg is still that pink and the scrapes are sensitive to being brushed against stuff.
Ouch.
But anyway.
Since my pants were wet and my leg was injured. I did something different on the walk back to land.
I held onto my dad for support.
On the way out I walked so slowly (my dad was way ahead of me) and it took forever.
On the way in with his help (and me not caring about my jeans anymore) we walked together back in much quicker.

I thought it was cool that with the support of another I was able to move fast where by myself I was only able to move slow.
My thoughts were added to when my Daddoo said that the Spiral Jetty was like a labyrinth.
You see Labyrinths only have one path. They may be convoluted paths but there are no dead ends unlike mazes that have one path that gets you to where your going but alot of dead ends you have to face if you make a wrong turn.


 Labyrinth
Maze

And he said that life was alot like a labyrinth because you only walk one path of your life, its hard to hit a dead end because you're always moving forward through life.

I thought that was a cool analogy and I also connected it to my first thought.
You can go through life unsupported, and you will get to where you're going, but more likely it will be at a slower pace because you'd have to tread more carefully because if you slip... you could fall into the water.
But with the support of another -family, friends, coworkers or even the Savior- you have another hand that will support you. So if you slip you have someone you're already holding onto that will keep you from going under. That doesn't mean that the two of you take the same path though. Often my dad and I would step on the same stones, but we'd also walk side by side stepping on different stones as well. So those who support us may only connect with us in a few spots but even though they're on a different path, they can still be there for you to keep you from faltering.
So that you both can arrive safely at your destination.


Land! :) lol
And even though I sustained an injury during this 'trek'
I still made it back to land. :)






To where I could appreciate the full beauty of the Spiral Jetty. :)


Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi 

The Dream

I was in a rock area, where there were lots of red rocks around and a group of us were scattered upon the incline of the hill. There was a little kid a boy with blonde hair that wanted to play hide and seek. What we'd do was close our eyes and count to ten then try to find each other among the rocks. There were a couple of popular rock outcroppings, but I decided that I wanted to mix things up and hide behind a different section of rocks where you wouldn't think to look. The boy's turn to seek came up and he closed his eyes and I started running. Well, ten came alot faster then I thought it would. I think I thought he was going to count to twenty. So when he opened his eyes, I was out in the open in plain sight. He took off running after me and I took off running and it became a game of who could run the fastest. I was trying to stay ahead of him going up and down the different rocky paths, but Uncle Ken and Cousin Kaliea showed up and hindered me enough that the boy caught up to me and tagged me. By this time I was out of breath so I went to the bathroom of the camp we were at to refresh myself. Only it was rather hard to do that as the stall doors wouldn't shut properly. It was like a two door combination but I couldn't figure out how to lock them properly and they kept swinging open. So I got them to lock together as best I could by putting the handles around each other and worked on changing my clothes to something else. I had thought that the door was fully shut, but when a group of girls walked in just as I finished only half of the doorway had been covered by the door. Luckily I was done so I left soon after, but it was just rather awkward. I walked with a group of others over to tunnel as we were headed home. This tunnel suppose to connect Walmart to the University...wasn't completed yet. We got to the road and found there was no crosswalk to cross instead we were on this platform that had a sewer ladder (those ladders hooked into the side of walls) with a guide saying that we needed to climb down in order to get into the tunnel so we could cross. The guide switched from being a girl with long blackish hair pulled back into a ponytail into a guy. He told us to use the zipline. As there was a zipline looking contraption that lead off into the distance perpendicular to where we wanted to go. It apparently was the only way to cross the street though. We had one girl get into the big black chair seat looking thing -a cross between  chair and the climbing harness rock climbers wear- and go zipplining along. There was another girl who accidentally got caught up in the harness before she was ready and went zipping down the line. The guy in charge knew she was in trouble so he activated the platform and the whole platform twisted and moved down the zipline route crossing over fields and construction areas. -the place was dark as it was sunset so most things were black and smoggy looking - over to this carnival area. My family and I stepped out of the dark doorway into a carnival games section of the building. I wandered off looking to see if there were any games that I could play and actually win at. I saw a bunch of random things, most of them in dark tones. There was a girl with blonde hair that was rolling balls around. She had a small octagonal chip with numbers on it and as she moved the balls around she would stick the chip into the ball, remove it and stick it on another ball. I think the game was supposed to be like the 'which cup has the ball underneath it' game. I could see the girl doing her trick though and the game didn't end before I left now wondering where my family had gone. I found them in a cafe area that was bright white compared to the rest of the carnival building. It looked like an ice cream parlor sort of place and my family was getting food to eat. My sister and I ended up wandering around the museum of the carnival looking at different exhibits. The place was like a maze with rooms leading to other rooms and different levels. I remember one exhibit had pictures of frogs -cartoon style- in a small closet sized hallway before it lead to this big open high vaulted ceiling museum room that had a bunch of animals in it. They were hanging by their feet from the ceiling and many of the big eyed dogs and cats had three heads on one neck with little antenna things coming from the center of the main head between the cool eyes. Weird. I had accidentally found the route that got me out of the museum, but I hadn't seen the whole place yet and I needed to find Kikay. So I went back into the museum, found Kikay and as we were walking along I discovered that my wallet wasn't in my pocket. It wasn't in my jeans pocket or the pocket of the jacket I was wearing. I had been robbed. I found it hard to believe though because my wallet had been in my jeans pocket and the jacket I wore covered that pocket and my hands were in the jacket pockets...so how could a thief go under one layer of clothing to get my stuff? It didn't make sense. My sister helped me look and she discovered all my things underneath the left side of my collar. They fell to the floor below us -we were on a balcony- and I was desperate to get the twelve or so different items that had fallen out before somebody picked them up and took them. -Though I managed to hold onto my wallet when that was found. I was trying to figure out how to use the railings to climb down to the floor below without hurting myself....

When the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again. :)

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment