Thursday, August 30, 2012

Construction Strain

The first week or two of school is finishing up, and many students are getting used to being back in school, having a ton of homework, working and beyond all that...figuring out if they'll be able to swim through the year, or have to doggy paddle an ocean's storm for the year. It's at this point, when you're just starting to find your feet again, that some things in your life begin to fall by the way side, cast aside because you don't have time to do it anymore. Just be careful what you decide not to do...as this story from conference shows, it could have unhealthy consequences.

This past month, one of the missionaries who served with Sister Ballard and me in Canada shared the details of how small things can compound into near destruction unless the course is corrected. He wrote:

"When I returned from my mission, I married and went to work in the construction industry.
Over the next few years we had three children, and during this time I remained active in the Church.
The demands of my business became much greater, and I became more determined to do whatever it would take to succeed financially.
The effects of this were felt immediately at home; but with the support of an understanding wife, we felt we could endure until things 'picked up.':

He went on to say that because of financial strains, his wife began working. He began working long hours and neglected his family and Church duties.
His demanding work schedule left him emotionally drained and physically exhausted.
He became critical of others, including his family members and Church leaders.

His letter continues:

"As my debt continued to mount, the destruction of my peace and happiness increased.
The love and tenderness we once knew as husband and wife had diminished to only memories.
We found character flaws in each other and began to focus on them, wounding each other over the smallest incident.
I began to blame everyone but myself, taking no responsibility for failures.
A great feeling of hopelessness began to fill my heart, and I felt a cloud of darkness envelop me in my desperation.

We knew our marriage could not endure under such conditions and began to talk in terms of divorce.
I decided to get some financial counseling; and after reviewing my finances, it became the joke that I was worth more dead than alive, which seemed rather funny and rather innocent at the time.
After continuing for a few more weeks, the threat of divorce as well as the very real threat of complete financial collapse seemed only a matter of time.
The innocent joke of being worth more dead than alive developed into the appearance of a very real solution.
I found myself alone at home, facing the crossroads of my decision.
The thought came to me to reach out to the Lord one last time.
Kneeling, I wept uncontrollably as I cried to the Lord for his mercy and help in my desperate hour.

A few minutes later, word came that my mission president was in town and wanted to see me in an hour.
As I sat with you, I wanted to hide my problems as I had done from everyone else.
But your questions came, asking:

"How are you?"
"Fine"
"How is your wife?"
"Doing good."
"How are the children?"
"Great."

Then came the pause, and you looked into my eyes and asked, "How is your business?"
I began to weep as I told you my story.

During the course of our meeting, you asked me to make you a promise: that I would read the Book of Mormon.
After committing to you that I would, you blessed me, telling me to rivet myself to the gospel and to keep the commandments.
I left you knowing the Lord had heard my plea for help."

Can you see, brothers and sisters, how many small and simple things took their toll in the life of this fine young man?
Like weak fibers that form a yarn, then a strand, and finally a rope, these small things combined together can become too strong to be broken. We must ever be aware of the power that the small and simple things can have in building spirituality.
At the same time, we must be aware that Satan will use small and simple things to lead us into despair and misery.

I am grateful that the Lord answered the prayers of this young man by prompting me to do the seemingly small thing of asking to see him.
I did not know of any of his problems at the time but was able to help him to once again take hold of the iron rod of the gospel to guide his life.
We must never ignore or pass by the prompting of the Spirit to render service to one another.

-M. Russell Ballard -Small and Simple Things -1990 April General Conference

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

....it was the short of dream where I woke up wanting to scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
....but....I don't really remember it. :S

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment