Thursday, October 4, 2012

100 MPH

Sometimes, we aren't in control of our lives. The question is.....can we get away from the one in control and set out on our own and make our own choices?

As I collect my thoughts in this new assignment, they go to my peer group--the young men of the Church.
I think back just a few years when I was sixteen years old and a printing apprentice.
A fellow apprentice was totally engrossed in motorcycles.
In those days we rode British motorcycles, and he had an AJS-350.

One sunny summer's day, he said to me, "Would you like to come for a ride in my motorcycle?"
That seemed to be a good idea.
In those days we didn't wear any protective clothing, and, thus, very lightly clad, I became the passenger on his motorcycle.
He weaved through the streets of Norwich and then came to a long, straight road.
He leaned back and said to me, "Have you ever traveled at one hundred miles an hour?"

I said, "No."
He said, "Well, you're going to."
I said, "We don't have to."

He began to rev the motorcycle, and the motorcycle roared forward.
The skin on my face pulled tight, and the clothing blew as we went past ninety-eight to one hundred miles an hour.
I determined that day that never again would I let somebody else control my life.

-Kenneth Johnson -The Motorcycle Ride -April 1990 General Conference

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

-I woke up with a feeling of discomfort but I can't remember quite what I dreamed....

No comments:

Post a Comment