Friday, March 8, 2013

A Fleeting Life

Usually...when I think of someone dying....
They're older, have been having health problems...
and basically I'm happy that they don't have to suffer anymore, that they're free from their problems that sent them on the downward hill.
And seeing that downward hill....I kinda prepare myself to accept that they won't be around much longer.

But someone younger....
It's...It's just incomprehensible really.
So full of life.
So vibrant.
Apparently happy.

And the next day gone.

I haven't had too much experience with those dying on the younger side of life.

The closest I'm getting is when a family friend's two year old son drowned in a pool when I was 11.
I didn't go to the funeral or the viewing...so I never saw the body....
The next closest incident would have been last year when my cousin passed, though he was older then me.....

Still, I can understand when younger deaths happen....accidents do happen all the time.

This though....wasn't an accident.

Earlier this week, I went to the Fencing Center for the first time in forever.
Because of early shifts in the morning I haven't fenced in a while because I didn't want to be extra tired for work as the activity takes place in the evening.
I didn't fence that day either.
I went so that after Kikay's shift, we could head straight over to a ward activity as it started right as her shift ended.

In any case. I spent that shift writing and listening to the conversations of others.

A young fencer and his friend happened to settle nearby me.
The young fencer seemed cheerful, happy, joking with their buddy.

Saying how in twenty years the friend would be working at the center still fencing, while they themselves would be a professor in a university or something like that.

I'd also noticed that this young fencer had been put in charge of the 'main' group of regulars while the coaches dealt with a bunch of newcomers who'd shown up.

The young fencer seemed to be having the time of their life. Waving their stick of duty around and joking with Kikay that they should give the young fencer the title of Assistant to the Assistant Coach.

Everyone was having fun. Joking. Laughing.

Nothing seemed wrong.

Then when Kikay went into work....she got a text no one wants to get.

All she told me is that this young fencer may be dead.

Automatically I thought that something 'horrible' had happened....something involving a car accident, a hit and run. Something that made sense for the young fencer was...I guess Jr High age.

I didn't find out how this fencer had died until after work that evening.

Suicide.

The day before the young fencer had suddenly given away all of their magic cards to their buddy and that night....committed the act.

Silence.
Incomprehension.

The young fencer was so young!
Why would they do such a thing!

I don't know any more details beyond that.
Which in many ways makes this worse....as I don't know how they killed themselves.
And being the writer that I am...and the reader that I am....
I can come up with a variety of methods.

It just....makes no sense.
I've never dealt with anyone that age doing such a thing.

It it's just heartbreaking to see all of the young fencers friends in the center, mourning the loss.

I didn't know this kid well. I saw the friendship they'd built up with the others, fenced the fencer a couple of times....
otherwise...I didn't know much.

Yet I'd just seen him like two days ago!

Incomprehensible.

And everyone is taking it in their own way....but overall it's hard for all of us.

The best way to put it into words would be to refer you to Kikay's blog and her post on the topic. For her words convey everything I want to say, but can't because I didn't know the young fencer as well as she did.   
http://theflightreflex.blogspot.com/2013/03/what-youll-never-know.html

I hope that whatever the reason....
This young fencer has found a measure of peace on the otherside.
And maybe just maybe they're already at work, teaching the spirits on the otherside...fencing or something lol.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

...I remember something about a plague...but not much else.

-S.N.D



No comments:

Post a Comment